1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Primary School

Discussion in 'Primary' started by luvinit, May 28, 2011.

1. Hiya,

Your timetable will depend upon your school - some schools split the curriculum, some are more "creative" and work to themes which include different subjects. Most schools however include the following 1 hour per day of literacy and numeracy, 2 hours a week of PE. If you are working in upper key stage 2 (y5/6) which given your background is likely, I wouldn't bank on a TA - they tend to be focussed at the younger end of the school or on one:eek:ne.
    For example:
    I currently teach in Y5. Each morning I teach 1 hour literacy, 1 hour numeracy and 1/2 hour guided reading. In the afternoons - twice a week I teach 1 hour of PE (1 indoor, 1 outdoor) and 11/2 hours of RE (statutory in UK2). The rest of the time is "topic" which must cover all other subjects but based around a theme.
    From colleagues who have made the transition from secondary to primary it is the teaching of subjects like music and pe with no training which causes them most problems - oh and apparently our paperwork load is heavier.
    Good luck with your search I hope you find something which suits you = and that you can understand a post written after end of term drinks.

2. Hi again,

Wow, this topic has really gone down well then, ha?

Firstly let me explain in more detail. According to OFSTED I am an outstanding teacher, I have had several offers from primary schools but have been reluctant. I am considering the move more seriously and me being modest made a few silly comments above. I am not trying to get your opinion on my job prospects as I couldn't care less about what others felt my Job prospects were!

If there are any helpful comments like the second post (thank you very much) than I would be very grateful.

3. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

To add a different view point....

This week we were interviewing for two new teachers and short listed a secondary teacher. We shortlisted her mainly because she has under taken regular supply at our school and has always done a good job (plus her letter met the person specification of course!)

II think she had support planning her lesson from some of the staff at school as she is really popular with them. Her lesson was good and so she was asked back for interview

However, she absolutely bombed at the panel interview as her knowledge of primary curriculum/ pedagogy was very limited. So, as much as we like her teaching, we wouldn't at this stage employ her. She'd have to seriously improve her knowledge of all things primary to be employable.

But on the other hand, two years ago we appointed a secondary teacher on a temporary part time contract. She did really well at interview and had considerable primary experience gained through supply teaching after having a family and her own research. She's now working full time permanently at school and is consistently graded outstanding in lesson observations.

So, moral of my story is its not who you know, its what you know

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm stunned that any decent primary would offer a post to someone so completely clueless about how a primary school works. Surely you were on their premises when they offered you a post? Did you not get some idea then?

I'm sorry that you feel my information was not what you wanted. But you simply asked in general terms about moving from secondary to primary. I thought it only fair to let you know the reality of the situation. Being outstanding as a secondary teacher is largely irrelevant when applying for a primary post.

5. My question is, how many hours of each subject do you teach, can anyone send me a lessons plan for the day/week. How does it work....I can't get my mind around it. If there is anyone that can help I would be grateful.

Thank You.

6. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

I have PMd you.

7. I teach --- 4 hours English, 5 hours of Maths, 1 hour 45 mins Big Writing Session, 1 and a bit hours of ICT, 6-8 hours of Topic including Art/DT/History/Geog etc, 2 hours ish of Science, 30 mins Spanish (which I have to sit in and join in with the children!) I should try to teach 2 1/2 hours RE (Cath School), 2 1/2 hours of Guided reading sessions - the 2 Hours PE is my PPA time. Then I also fit in Spelling Tests, Mental Maths, Assembly - there are no free periods, they don't stay at home pre-examinations and all year groups are in session until July...my neighbour who teachers high school science loses half her classes in May as she mainly teaches Years 11 and 13! So has numerous free periods (I know she uses them for purposefully but still ;-) hahahah) HMMM, what else? Thse are rough of course things move and are squashed etc to fit everything in.....but in your answer - the joy of a primary school teacher is the variety, we have to be on our toes and top of our game, knowing everything from the theory to why this mathematical operation works, why William invaded England, How Henry VIII was feeling as he beheaded his wife, how coastal erosion is going to effect us, the purpose of a semi-colon, to be able to draw in the style of Picasso and much much more.....Love My JOB!

8. Apologies for my poor typing skills - teaches not teachers, these not thse - Early Sunday morning and you can seperate paragraphs using a Mac?

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

One teacher for all lessons unusual in my experience to also have a TA.
    We don't have hour long lessons
    AM Maths & English
    PM Topic

10. Msz

EYFS = Early Years Foundation stage (Nursery & Reception)
    6 areas of learning
    Communication Language and literacy
    Personal social & Emotional Development
    Problem Solving reasoning and Numercy
    Knowlege & Understanding of the World
    Physical Development
    Creative Development
    the day should be a balance of child initiated learning and adult initiated learning
    planning is often retrospective and based on children's individual needs and interests
    Learning is active (no chalk and talk) and the teacher "plays" with or alongside the children
    Outdoor learning is a significant feature
    teachers don't get breaks unless they can grab lunch between sessions

11. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I have recently got a job to start in a primary school in September 2012. I teach Year 6 any way, but in a middle school. I am finding the change very daunting, despite teaching the same age. I can not imagine what it would be like secondary to primary.
    The school I am going to has an hour each of maths and English, half an hour of phonics/spellings/comprehension each day. Most afternoons are spent doing topic, but thereis also 2 hours PE, 1 hour RE, Music and ICT to fit in.

12. There are so many recently and newly qualified primary school teachers who are finding it difficult to find work, that this actually makes me cross.
    How can you honestly apply for a job when you have no idea of what it's about? To not know what you'll be required to teach, when or for how long is inexcusable, really. Why do some secondary teachers just assume they can make the swap whenever they want to? I'm trained for primary: that doesn't make me suitable for teaching GCSE physics or P.E. (or anything else for that matter) without some more experience of the age range, and a whole lot of CPD.
    And, how is seeing someone else's lesson plan going to help you????

13. Msz

There isn't a definitive answer I'm afraid

14. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Speaking as a primary teacher who has struggled for the last 4 years to get a permanent teaching position (And STILL am on temporary contracts) The thought of secondary colleagues breezing in and taking jobs when there are SO many primary trained teachers who are struggling really annoys me.
    If you are genuinely serious about moving - do some leg work and find out what you actually should know... Volunteer in a school or do a transfer course. Teaching in a primary is very different to secondary and I don't see that you could just make the transfer and 'settle into it as you go.' If you did, then I would feel very, very sorry for the thousands of primary teachers who are being pumped through university into a miserable situation where they are unable to get a job when clueless secondary candidates breeze in and take the jobs. Sorry thats my opinion.

15. I always wonder if some and I mean SOME (not all) of our esteemed Secondary brothers and sisters see us as a soft touch, who spend the days colouring in, painting pictures, teaching ABC's and 123's???? Every Key Stage has its pros and cons. As others have mentioned - have you spent anytime in these schools where you have been offered jobs? I would never for one moment think I could just JUMP over into Secondary and think it is quite nieve (SP) of anyone to think like that......If you are serious about moving to Primary because you are passionate about the curriculum, inspiring young children and having a true variety in your job, coupled with endless planning, assessment thats comes with teaching many subjects - get yourself in school, volunteer then you will see some of the picture. IMO x