1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Nursery!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sea232, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've just found out that I'll be teaching in Nursery next year. Having only taught in KS1 and KS2 I am excited about the challenge, however the realisation has hit that I have no experience of this age group and honestly know little to nothing about nursery. I don't think I've even actually been in our nursery - unless I've needed to borrow some toy trucks or something. I don't have a clue how planning works in EYFS either. So I'm cluelessly looking forward to it. Could anyone give me some advice, tips, a basic rundown of what I need to do to get my head around this by September. Been looking at EYFS on the strategies site but not coming up with any concrete advice - I'm seeing lots of play but I'm still unsure how this would translate into planning? Help!

2. anyone? please? [​IMG]

3. Hi there,
    I'm not sure that I'm going to be a Huge help as I am a supply teacher and have only done a few shifts in nursery. Congratulations on the job though! The schools that I have been to set out different 'play' stations such as play dough, sand, water, drawing/writing, puzzles and the children after a story or some other activity choose what they would like to do. Certain topics are covered which would then try to relate to the activities - such as movement...making kites, reading story on how different animals move etc. I'm not sure about assessments and planning?! Good luck

4. Thanks for the help - hopefully i'll pick up some more ideas soon!

5. it's generally accepted that young children learn a lot through play, and so a play based curriculum that starts with and builds on what children can already do and enjoy doing is the most effective and inclusive way of teaching young children. you need to provide a wide range of opportunities for play, like the previous poster said, set out different stations so that the children can try out different materials, and engage in different types of play- exploratory, physical, and so on. you need to implement a system for observing the children whilst they are playing or engaging in the various activites, noting what they can do, what they choose to do, and what they seem to enjoy doing. through systematically observing the children you will be assessing their existing abilities and preferences. by looking at the strands in the EYFS guidance, you can locate which strands best describe the child and then identify next steps in their learning and development, or areas you think could be extended. this will then determine what further activities you can plan that will extend their learning. therefore in early years the assessment will be through systematically observing the children (this could be through quick notes, detailed recording of the children's actions/speech, checklists- whichever method seems appropriate to the aspect of development you wish to find out about), which will then feed into your planning of activities. Hope this helps?

6. why don't you talk to your current nursery teacher and ask to look at her planning together or your EYFS leader. Or spend some of your PPA time over in the Nursery before the end of term

7. Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling a little bit better about nursery now! I'm currently off work ill and won't be back until September at the earliest so just trying to read up as much as I can. Luckily the Foundation stage co-ordinator was my NQT mentor so I'll definitely be getting in touch with her for a few tips I think, plus I've heard our local EYFS AST is really good so I'm going to try and get hold of her for a chat before the end of term, if possible. Thanks again for the advice [​IMG]