1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Media Studies (Will be teaching AS AQA Media Studies)

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Drama and English, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Hi,

I've recently discovered that I will be teaching Media next year (alongside Theatre Studies and English). I've bought myself some books (Media Making, The Media Teacher's Book, The Media Student's Book, AQA AS Media: Student Book and AS Media Studies: The Essential Introduction for AQA) which I'll read over the holidays.

Does anyone else have any tips on things I could/should look at (I'm not asking for handouts)?

Much appreciated.

2. Hi,

I've recently discovered that I will be teaching Media next year (alongside Theatre Studies and English). I've bought myself some books (Media Making, The Media Teacher's Book, The Media Student's Book, AQA AS Media: Student Book and AS Media Studies: The Essential Introduction for AQA) which I'll read over the holidays.

Does anyone else have any tips on things I could/should look at (I'm not asking for handouts)?

Much appreciated.

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Follow this thread:

https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...

Do ask any specific questions - lots of people here happy to help. For the A level, we are all new to the syllabus, so lots of sharing will be going on here, especially once the (AQA) coursework brief are released in the Autumn term.

Hope this helps

4. Hi,

I too am new to aqa media and am totally confused about the cross media aspect of the course! Do the entire class prepare the same case study?? Help!!What needs to be contained in it?

Thanks

5. Hi,

I am also confused. My understanding is that each specific text has to be taught across the three platforms. For example I am teaching Film and will be teaching Eastern Promises and Batman and will use the key concepts to analyse these texts as a moving image, then in the print sector I will be looking at posters, DVD covers, reviews in mags and papers and on the internet will be focusing on web pages -dedicated to the film/stars/directors, forums, reviews, etc.

I am not sure if this is the right way, I have been in touch with AQA andwaiting for a reply from the principal examiner, so will keep you posted, but if anybody has any advice???

6. Although the books are good, i found i wasted too mucb time on stuff i didnt need
    media edu has a good scheme if you email me I will forward it to you and the overview what I have from a college who kindly gave it to me quite happy to help
    tracy.fisher@newcharteracademy.org.uk

make sure you say you were on the tes forum or i will forget!

generally i focus on : MIGRAINE media lang, institution, Genre, representation, audience, Ideology, Narrative