1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New To History

Discussion in 'History' started by hadiams, Sep 17, 2019.

1. hadiams

hadiams New commenter

Hi everyone. I've just taken on the role of teaching secondary history including year 10 AQA history. I haven't taught history in the UK before and I'm feeling a little nervous. I have a degree in Humanities and I'm an ESOL teacher with 20 years experience of teaching at International schools in the Middle East. I would love to have some guidance on appropriate books keeping in mind that my students' first language is not English.
    PS I'm also teaching AQA English year 10.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Given the specific challenges you face, you might find joining the Historical Association (https://www.history.org.uk/secondary) useful, and I would also suggest contacting the AQA and asking their subject officer for History (if they still have one) for support, e.g. the name of local schools teaching the same syllabus you could approach for help with resources etc.

3. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator New commenter

Has the school thrown you in the deep end with no resources or lesson plans?
    All the exam boards recommend textbooks usually with additional resources.
    Hope your classes are not too big as both English and History are heavy in both content and marking.