1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Headship

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mms1, Dec 25, 2016.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Nah - its evidence of an inquiring mind. Its less invasive than poking around in bedroom drawers and its all in the public domain.

2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I think where I differ from nomad is that I feel that heads should not expect staff to do things that they are not prepared to do themselves. That is often the mark of a good leader.

install likes this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I tend to agree but.... Academy chains now have some CEOs with no teaching experience who will no doubt start replacing heads with business managers and view teaching as a skill set they do not need.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Lara mfl 05, digoryvenn and Jesmond12 like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Good luck in your new job OP! I am not an HT , but do feel that an HT should take on challenging classes if they can...

That will set a real example for students, teachers, parents and governors. But it is a tough call. I would also expect it of SLT - if possible.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  6. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

The best thing a HT can do is teach regularly-it keeps you in touch with the pupils, allows for higher quality conversations on teaching and learning with your staff and, if in your previous role your teaching was a strength -what is the point in depriving your school of a positive addition
    I have taught maths daily since my first headship 14 yrs ago-i also complete easter schools for y6 and after school boosters.

install, brighton56 and Jesmond12 like this.
  7. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I genuinely wish I could teach.
    But I soon realised that I was letting the children down by doing it.
    Often I would get called away or interrupted.
    I can get brilliant teachers to teach classes - but I can't get someone else to deal with the day to day rubbish that lands on my desk 24/7.
    With no business manager or deputy, I'm already doing three jobs. I really would let the school down if I also indulged in my passion for teaching. So I accept I can't do it all.

Lara mfl 05, nomad, Jesmond12 and 3 others like this.
  8. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I agree with cornflake. The job of a head is so demanding and complex. Your job is to ensure really good teachers are in front of classes. Your time is too expensive to be spent teaching unless you really must do a token lesson a week. In my first headship I taught two days a week in a small school. This time I told them I had earned my stripes as a teacher. I didn't need to keep proving it. My predecessor let important things go because she tried to do both.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Well then you must support your staff. Too many heads do not

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

If you ever have to lead a school your viewpoint may well change. In my opinion too many heads work ridiculously hard and are not given the recognition they deserve.

11. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I am not head material but I am a very good teacher and I feel that too many heads are threatened by people like me. I do not want their job but I feel that heads should respect my input.

install likes this.
  12. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

I like to think respect works both ways. If this has not been the case for you then that is indeed a shame.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  13. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

A quick look at work place dilemmas and a quick Google as to the tendency of ups3 teachers being forced out might tell you that heads often see experienced teachers as a threat.

install likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You appear to have hijacked this thread as it was about advice for new HT's. I value the input of all my staff including those on UPS. My SLT consists of my DHT and two other members of staff who are both on UPS3. Yes there are HT's who want to get rid of staff on UPS but there are just as many who value UPS staff for their experience and knowledge.

You cannot do both these days. I cover classes whenever I can and I really enjoy it but the paperwork and problems don't go away. Many a time I have been in front of a class when I have had to "disappear" for a few minutes to deal with a problem or speak to someone on the phone.

15. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Not highjacked at all. I have just pointed out the simple fact that staff respect heads who teach and those who do not expect staff to do things they are not prepared to do themselves. This applies to all jobs. When I work with TAs I know they have certain tasks they are to do but when there is a crisis I will help too. It is called teamwork. Secondly how can. You judge classroom performance if you have little experience of new courses and trends? I

install likes this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Of course. We do a different job. I do heaps of things that would be daft for my head to do. Should he have a form class? Mark exam papers? Do bus duty? Supervise the changing room? He has his job to do and I have mine. He would, and has, stepped in to do bits of mine in an emergency and I have done the same for him. (Only the easy bits obviously I can't do anything too tricky!) But he hasn't the time to do my job as well as his own.

I suppose the advice for those new to headship is that you can't please all your staff all the time. Some will complain, just because they will and there is no point fussing about it. Other will think you are wrong if you do and utterly daft if you don't. Do your best, be honest and give the impression you enjoy it.

And in a few years, not many now, when I ask the very same question, come back here and tell me what to do! :)

17. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Agreed - the jobs are very, very different. And when I try and recruit UPR teachers explicitly, no-one applies!!
    I was a good teacher before I became a Head - but I know many who are more talented than I was in the classroom. Fortunately some of them work in the same place I do. My job is to enable them to be the best they can be - and I can't do that if I'm dipping into the occasional lesson just to satisfy my own ego. I won't compromise the children.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  18. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

But it is not a matter of satisfying your own ego. It is for them to see you are supporting them and are aware of their daily challenges. Not mucking in when needed suggests to us mortals that you deem it beneath you. Now that is an ego issue.

install likes this.
  19. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

That is Grade A boll0x. Heads have their job, you have yours. Get on with it and stop whinging.

20. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I do get on with my job. As do my colleagues in the classroom. We are all very very busy. I am giving my very reasonable opinion to a point in this forum. And why not?

install likes this.