1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to headship salary opinion

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by What-next, Jan 30, 2020.

1. What-next

What-next New commenter

Hello all,
    In education for the last 24 years. Currently deputy in group 3, inner london, outstanding school. Currently on L15 and will move up to L16 in September. Ideally, Governors and current Head would like me to take over in September when head retires. They have offered starting salary as L18. In my view, this is rather low given I would move up to L16 in September as a deputy. Would really value your opinion. thanks

2. install

install Star commenter

I am not an ht but work closely with hts.

Sounds extremely low to me. And more so given it is in Inner London. Check current adverts in similar sized schs to see what they are offering.Look at your 'Pay Policy' to check the difference in scale between 'Deputies' and the 'Head teacher' . Are you part of a MAT Academy?

Assuming the ad has gone out, is the salary not open to negotiation/dependent on experience given they will want the 'Outstanding' category to continue and want to get the best candidate?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  3. What-next

What-next New commenter

No, we are not in a MAT. Ad is being prepared to go out but the salary range is being discussed. I personally feel it is far too close to my current scale which would result to close +|-£200 extra per month for all the extra work.

4. install

install Star commenter

Why would it change from where it currently is?

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I would wait and see if you get the job first then negotiate the salary.

Look at your pay policy. What does it say about the minimum range between the DHT and the Deputy? When I got my last headship the difference was 5 points and I started at L18.

Mind you they could argue that the salary range is correct if they appoint a new deputy on a lower scale

starlightexpress and install like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I moved from deputy to head for one point initially. You won’t necessarily get a large increase. The viewpoint might be, as it was in my case, that you were well paid as a deputy. I don’t know about what similar schools in your area would offer but the gap sounds normal to me.

digoryvenn and install like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide
    STPCD rules changed in 2014 and since then the HT and DHT ranges can overlap as long as the top of the DHT range doesn't exceed the top of the HT range, although STPCD says "The pay range for a deputy or assistant headteacher should only overlap the headteacher’s pay range in exceptional circumstances" so normally the top of DHT range should be at least one point below the bottom of the HT range."

Forgive me @Rott Weiler but I lifted this from an old thread (Feb 2016) that came up when I googled . It looks as though the regulations dont make it easy for you to ask for an increase but you can still build your own argument.

sooooexcited likes this.
  8. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Definitely true that the top DHT waypoint is close to the bottom HT point.

9. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Lots of HT posts for that size school start at L18.
    I assume your current DHT range ends at L16?
    So you are just taking a step onto the next "rung" with the possibility of progression - where-as if you stay as DH, you will no longer be eligible for any further progression.

The key question shouldn't be about pay tbh, but "Do I want to be HT in this school?".
    And if not, do you want to be HT somewhere else?

10. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

It’s all true and well you saying this, but the outgoing HT is not making the decision on their successor, and equally, it should be the best candidate for the role who is successful irrespective of whether or not you are an internal candidate.
    I’m a HT myself and I’m retiring in August, the coG have appointed a external candidate.

No role has been offered yet officially (you’re yet to be interviewed)- enter these discussions about salary when/if you get the offer. Good Luck.

starlightexpress likes this.