1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to geography

Discussion in 'Geography' started by tompenny, May 9, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am a history and sociology teacher about to take up a job overseas and will be teaching geography as part of my new timetable. I wondered if more experienced geography teachers would have any top tips for lesson resources to get, good websites to visit, resources, organisations to research so I could do some prep before going over. I am leaving with a range of resources from UK organisations in history/sociology and now want to do the same for geography. All tips would be most welcome!
    Yours with thanks
    Tom Penny

2. Hello,
    I am a history and sociology teacher about to take up a job overseas and will be teaching geography as part of my new timetable. I wondered if more experienced geography teachers would have any top tips for lesson resources to get, good websites to visit, resources, organisations to research so I could do some prep before going over. I am leaving with a range of resources from UK organisations in history/sociology and now want to do the same for geography. All tips would be most welcome!
    Yours with thanks
    Tom Penny

3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Do you know what Geography you'll be teaching? Is the school you're currently working at willing to share resources so you can download what you want/need?
    TES website is a fab place for Geography resources, also SLN (Staffordshire Learning Net), Juicy Geography, BBC Bitesize for KS4. The internet has a wealth of fantastic geography resources, you can normally find anything if you add worksheet/for children to the search.
    Good luck
    Rebecca

4. Thanks for the tips. I will get their schemes etc but am looking more for resources or good websites to start me off so thanks for this tips.
    Tom

5. Hello,

What international school are you going to? I'm currently at the British School of Boston and have uploaded some resources to two websites; one is for students (http://www.bsbgeography.weebly.com/) and one is for teachers who also work in the British Schools of America (http://www.bsageographers.weebly.com/). As we move towards a VLE platform, I'll be updating these websites less but they still might give you an idea of the geography curriculum here.

I also use www.geographyalltheway.com for IGCSE and IB.

Good luck!