1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nsherry, Sep 10, 2018.

1. nsherry

nsherry New commenter

Hello everyone
    I've recently moved into our reception class after over 10 years teaching in KS1 and although I've set up the class and settled the children, had fun and followed the planning, I feel totally under prepared for what is to come.

When people said ''Early years teaching is so different from KS1 and KS2 teaching" I thought that can't be right!! How wrong was I? It's knackering in ways I never expected, you are not left alone at all, it's constant teaching, learning, photographs, assessment and Tapestry.

Please help!! I don't want to get snowed under or miss something important. How can I feel more in control? What assessments do you do? Does Tapestry get easier to use? (It took me 1hr 40 mins to post 6 pictures)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nicky

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Hi there. There are a few people new to reception so you can share stories.
    First things first. Get to know your children. You've done well if after a week you feel your children are settled! I never experienced this in 25 years in reception. Don't worry too much at this stage about loads of observations and meticulous planning. Short sharp phonics maths etc inputs are fine and lots of modelling how to use and look after resources, how to play together listen to each other etc. This is the day to day stuff that pays dividends later.
    It does get better but at the end of the day early years either is your cup of tea or it isn't. It's early days yet.
    I don't know tapestry but know lots of people using it and like all things new it takes time to get used to it but gets quicker the more you use it .
    Can you get on any training for EYFS and especially the profile as this will be a new ball fame for you. We still offer training for new to ETFS and new to profile. I'm sure other LAs do too unless you're in a MAT and they do?
    Good luck with the next few weeks

3. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Hi it will all get easier for you as you become familiar with what you are doing. Tapestry gets a lot easier, I remember the panic of first using, but compared to hand written observations and all the cutting and sticking its a doddle. Remember you can take a picture of a group doing something and add group observations, several names at once. You can also copy and paste if you want individual. Try and find the time to add your observations during the working day. You may find it easier to jot down your observations and get another member of staff to add to the pictures if working in a group and all doing the same thing, obs for individual observations during free play this will be different. over the year these will all add up. We also assess on paper as not all goes in tapestry and keep a sep book of their writing progress. Hope this helps.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's exhausting isn't it?!
    I'm falling asleep as I type and it isn't even 9pm!

Same.
    Teaching is teaching and these people are just smaller? Can't be that hard. (How wrong!)
    It is sooooo incredibly difficult and the fact I'm find it difficult is difficult to cope with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the actual being with the children part, well mostly, but it is totally different and I haven't got my head round it all at all.

My post is no help at all, but you aren't alone in feeling overwhelmed.

5. nsherry

nsherry New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I have completed planning but have found we go completely off topic so quickly and learning pops up when you haven't planned or you least expect it.

I'm looking for 'New to EYFS' courses in the area and have joined different forums on different sites. I'm hoping by half term I feel more like an early years teacher...but still as knackered

6. nsherry

nsherry New commenter

I added new FS1 children to Tapestry today and felt such a sense of achievement just got to link them to their parent/carer emails and I'm laughing I've started an evidence folder and making short observation notes too.

I've been invited to our local area early years conference in a few weeks so hopefully meeting some super EYFS staff with wonderful words of wisdom will help me and give me a positive boost. Thank you for your reply. It's good to know Tapestry gets easier

7. nsherry

nsherry New commenter

Just had a mini nap sat upright...my 12 year old just woke me up as my head was leaning over It is wonderful but exhausting...good to know I'm not alone

8. grumbleweed

I was still exhausted every day after 25 years in nursery or reception. Forget all those people who say you're "just playing" or "it's not proper teaching". They know nothing!
    Once you see children doing things they couldn't at the start, you get a real buzz and that's what keeps you going.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's sooo physical!

They want to build a giant spaceship in the outdoor area to go to the moon (They insisted it was only pretend, but I wanted to go for real! Hey ho!)
    They need help to move the tyres...who decided such heavy things were a great idea for EYFS? I could enter Wold Strongest Man after today!
    They want support as they climb up, because it's scary.
    They want holding as they jump down.
    They want a pointy top so I have to climb a bit and reach up to add a pointy top.
    Then they want to dismantle it (with some help!) to make it into an obstacle course using 'absolutely everything'.
    Then we have to put it away and stack various items!

Can you see why I skipped Body Pump tonight?!?!

On the more constructive and educational side, there were no poo accidents today and I got my head round baseline on tapestry. Yeay!!!!!

10. grumbleweed

See , you're learning already ! It sounds great and a no poo day is a real bonus!
    I'm a big fan of 'heavy'. Children need to experience genuinely heavy things to understand weight, and it's an important maths, physical and problem solving skill to learn how to lift and move heavy things. I'm an advocate of real food items in the role play so real bottle of water , tins of beans, box of corn flakes etc.

11. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

Children who try picking up heavy things will be better writers! You are right though it is exhausting! So worth it though.