1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to EYFS (Reception)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rachi2806, May 23, 2019.

1. rachi2806

rachi2806 New commenter

I've recently been told that I'll be teaching Reception when I return from maternity leave and, whilst I'm super excited, it's a big change so I'm looking for some advice/guidance.
    • Which documents would you recommend that I prioritise reading?
    • Are there any websites or other resources that you think are great? We have lots of physical resources already (indoor and outdoors) so wouldn't be looking to buy much in unless it was exceptional.
    • What would your 'settling in' period look like (many children continuing from school nursery which is based in the same classroom and outdoor area)?
    Any other tips will be greatly appreciated. OFSTED are due any time so keen to hit the ground running!

Thank you in advance.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Reading
    Development Matters.
    "The Reception Year In Action" by Anna Ephgrave is a great book and a fairly easy read (lots of photos).
    Anything by Alistair Bryce-Clegg (either books or www.abcdoes.com)

Resources
    Numicon is my number one maths resource for Early Years. Highly recommended if you don't have any (just buy a box of shapes and let them play).

Settling in period
    Spend a couple of weeks establishing the routine and classroom rules. I like to run a typical routine right from day 1, but adapt timings to suit the fact that the children are new and need lots of time to explore/get to know one another. So if my timetable has a 15 minute phonics lesson just before snack, I'd gather the children on the carpet for a couple of songs, just to establish the general routine.
    Don't necessarily have all classroom areas up and running from day 1; if there are areas where you particularly need to establish rules (eg. always wear an apron when you're painting), open up one a day and place yourself/TA in that area to teach the rules.

elfo likes this.