1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to EYFS (not new to teaching)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Edith4, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Edith4

Edith4 New commenter

I'm posting to get some advice, I am new to eyfs this year but this is my 4th year of teaching. I am loving it in reception and can't believe it's taken me 4 years to try try it! However, at my current school we have a year and half intake, so 45 reception kiddies. Split by age between 2 classes, the teacher I work alongside is more experienced than me and has been extremely helpful guiding me with routines and planning etc. although I have been really grateful I am now starting to feel very much controlled by the other teachers routines and teaching style - it just isn't me! My main reason for posting is to ask for help with planning. We are a formal reception setting, I want to make it more creative but feel unsure about how to plan accurately. For example, what to follow for learning objectives, how long to spend on things. My fellow teacher is using old planning as a guide, help please! Ahhhh! Thanks in advance, R

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

You may want to change you name if you are using your real name. Don't want to offend someone who has clearly been trying to support you.

Are you planning using Development ?Matters document as guidance? That's a good starting point. I know you say you work 'formally' so do you have Continuous Provision? You could try looking at alistair Bryce clegg website- abcdoes.com. He has lots of great ideas.
    If you say it 'isn't you' then do you know what you would like your way to be? Don't chage everything, just a little at a time, your children don't need everything they have just got used to changed all in one go!
    Also, if you have 45 children do you, or your colleague, have mixed rec/y1 as that will make some difference.

Not sure I've been much help, but perhaps given you a little more food for thought!
    Good luck!

3. Edith4

Edith4 New commenter

Hi yes I agree - a name change is in motion! You have been helpful, thank you. Yes we have continuous provision, we're working on making it more meaningful along side guided group work. I have looked at ABC does - great ideas, it's just getting other people on board too, but that is definitely the direction I'd like to go. I think you're right, small changes are the way forward. We both have reception classes, 22 in one, 23 in the other - a younger and an older class. I'm going to re-read development matters and use it as more of a guide for my planning. Thanks again, I think I just needed pointing in the right direction. :) x

4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Happy to help!