1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to EYFS, Help!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BrionyWhite1, May 22, 2018.

1. BrionyWhite1

BrionyWhite1 New commenter

Hello
    So I am currently in my third year of teaching and have spent these years in yr 3/4.
    I have just secured a new job in reception which i am so excited about, however slightly daunted by the idea!

My new head wants a complete new EYFS with classroom and approach if needs be.
    My question is, where on earth do I start?! What approach do i go with? What furniture do i need? What are non-negotiables? What works well in your classrooms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOWOW!
    I've spent the last three years in year 3 and am moving to nursery in September.
    However I also have a total of 20 something years of teaching...though none in EYFS.

Goodness a whole lot of new furniture as well as approach and room! lucky but scary.
    Look on pintrest and someFB groups for classrooms.
    Anna Ephgrave appears to be the woman of the moment and ABCdoes seems to have a fab approach. (Not that I know anything much yet!)

There are a few threads on here lately about people moving from LKS2 to EYFS...must be the year for it.

Are you nearly as super excited as me?
    ;):):D:);)

Pomza likes this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Just read her book on Reception - OP should check it out for some ideas...

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

That's quite a change - Enjoy!:)

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If you can, go and look at some other classes near you. Your LA may recommend some, they may even still offer support (if they still exist that is).
    Use what's good about what you currently have, resources, layout, etc. Sketch out your space so that you can draw out an approx plan before you do it for real.
    It's really exciting, good luck with it.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Loving the occasional afternoons I've done so far. :)

7. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

Oh wow congrats on the new job. EYFS is the best class I have worked in and so much fun! But very tiring as the little lovelies are so young they need you in a different way from the older children. Have a look at ABC does and the reception year in action. Also there are lots of exciting phonics and maths ideas in 50 days of teaching phonics and messy maths.

miadup_mia likes this.
  8. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

9. reb999

reb999 New commenter

Reception is FUN, FUN, FUN, hands-on and practical.

I have been a full-time reception teacher for four years and am still learning as its forever changing!

It's key to have free flow access indoors and out if you have the facilities. Areas are good too such as role-play, reading corner, craft area, carpet area, construction area and so on. Encourage children to be independent and take what they require - can cross over in different areas - the children use it, learn from trial and error and tidy away after themselves. Always look for a way to challenge them further, capture an observation (photograph, written observation, video recording) and if needed jot down a next step. Use the children's interests and next steps to aid future planning. It is expected that at the end of the Reception year the children will have learnt to the end of phase 4 in phonics.

Research: Baseline assessment, Early Years Outcomes, Characteristics of Effective Learning (How children learn), Continuous Provision, Next Steps, Early Years Foundation Stage Profile, Early Years Handbook, EYFS exemplification materials.

A few links to help you along your way:
    https://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Early_Years_Outcomes.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eyfs-profile-exemplication-materials

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/early-years-foundation-stage-profile-2018-handbook

https://www.foundationyears.org.uk/

Ask your head and get in contact with local schools to join in with termly moderation meetings.

Hope this helps!