1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to English Language A Level- Help!

Discussion in 'English' started by jennye55, Apr 20, 2012.

1. jennye55

jennye55 New commenter

Hi,
    I've been told today that I will be teaching English Language AS Level from September (AQA A). This will be new to the entire school.
    I was wondering whether anyone can help me to get started! Does anyone have any ideas of a) the best way to introduce the course b) a good course "structure"/layout? c) any good advice/resources?

Thanks,
    Jen

2. jennye55

jennye55 New commenter

Hi,
    I've been told today that I will be teaching English Language AS Level from September (AQA A). This will be new to the entire school.
    I was wondering whether anyone can help me to get started! Does anyone have any ideas of a) the best way to introduce the course b) a good course "structure"/layout? c) any good advice/resources?

Thanks,
    Jen

3. sianna

sianna New commenter

I'd start by contacting the exam board and looking at the specification. AQA have loads of online teaching materials and exam advice which may help you.

4. I do Lang B so can't really help but my best advice is go on their courses. While they are expensive, they are worth it and they give you tons of stuff generally (as well as allowing you to meet other teachers who teach the same spec). If your school isn't keen on you going to training courses, they can't expect your results to be great can they!

5. nick2002

nick2002 New commenter

I would invest in this as well - I use the equivalent book for Spec B and it really is extremely useful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-English-Language-AS-Students/dp/074879848X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335007165&sr=1-2

6. sianna

sianna New commenter

Good idea!Don't buy a whole class set though because the spec is changing (again) in 2013/4.

7. nick2002

nick2002 New commenter

I would agree - I just have my own personal copy which I use as a basis for planning.

8. To aid my students, we've just shot a dozen very short films at our very helpful local uni covering topics like R.P., code switching, socio-linguistics, accent, dialect & standard English, Estuary English and Call Centre English and a few other areas that prompt further study. You are very welcome to tap into them if you find them useful. Posted them on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14azgfmtRE

9. jennye55

jennye55 New commenter

Thank you everyone for your help so far!

Just a quick question. There's an exam and coursework. Do you think it best to structure the course so that I begin with exam work, they do the January exam, then begin coursework?

10. nick2002

nick2002 New commenter

It depends - is it normal practice in your school to do the exam in January? If not, I would leave the exam until June as there is an awful lot of content to cover.
    We start off with the exam basics (e.g. looking at all the language frameworks), then work on coursework and come back to the exam content in readiness for summer exam entry. Whichever way, you will need to start with the exam stuff anyway as the content and ideas will be used in the coursework later on.

11. jennye55

jennye55 New commenter

Thanks again.
    I've just been told that it's actually AQA English Language B that I'll be developing for teaching in September. Does anyone have a rough tecahing plan/structure that I could have a look at?

12. Hiii,

I am in the exact same position as you. Have been asked to teach a level spec b.is there any possibility to have a look at a sample scheme of work as a starting point? My email is kanakamanjana@gmail.com.

13. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Hey, you can head over to my profile - I have some resources and course structure of AQA A English Language.

I have been rated very highly for my resources, so feel free to check them out :)