1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to controlled Assessments - Advice, plese

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by musiclover1, Nov 22, 2011.

1. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I'm new to Controlled Assessments - here are my questions:
    The pupils are allowed to prepare stuff in the lessons during 'stage 2', but they're not allowed to take this home to learn it. And they're allowed to prepare stuff at home, but they're not allowed to take this into school. Have I understood this correctly? It doesn't make a lot of sense.
    How much lesson time would you invest in 'stage 2'? I don't want to lose too much valuable teaching time, but of course I'd like them to do well in the CA.
    How many CA's do you do over the 2 years of the GCSE course? I'm trying to do 4 a year (2 for each skill), but I don't know if I'm over-doing it and rushing them too much.

2. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

You have understood this correctly. It makes no sense at all. Grrr. We spend 4 hrs 20 mins on stage 2 as we cannot afford to lose any more than two weeks of lessons + writing up time on top of that - or speaking tests taking us off time-table for a day at a time. Drives me mad!! Especially when they're away and I have to make up the lost time for them after school...
    We're just doing the 4 CAs that are required for the GCSE - can't afford to miss more teaching than that. 4 CAs even with only 4 hours stage two is a whole term's work for us. (Spring term is always very short!) We have exams twice a year, so allow them to do mini tasks as part of their exams so they get used to the idea of preparing in advance and memorising.

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Is it for French? If so, I've typed and uploaded some examples of CA for AQA from last year, with the grades they were awarded. For grammar, they seemed to be rewarded particularly well for prepositional verbs (continuer de, commencer à etc) rather than lots of tenses.

4. musiclover1

Thank you, Noemie, it's for German, but I'll still have a look - very interesting to see the grades.

5. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

Top set y10 do French in a year, so it's topic-assessment-topic-assessment all year! Most groups do one assessment at the end of year 10, then 3 in y11. The lowest groups do all four in y11 to give them more time to get some useful phrases under their belts.
    As for grammar, I still find I'm having to hammer home the present tense most of the time. With German I'd guess you'd need to get them confident with modals, then a few subordinate clauses and um...zu..clauses, relative clauses. Just the sort of thing you'd get them to do for an old GCSE writing exam.
    It's all a bit silly really, and they can produce very good work by using prelearnt phrases rather than grammar knowledge.
    My French ones last year were similar to the ones noemie has posted, and were marked similiarly, so if you have French knowledge they're worth a look. For all the uselessness of the exam now, our top pupils scored exactly as they would have under the old system, and so did our weakest. I don't know that other schools were that lucky.
    What I can say is that the fluency and grammar of my current y11, who took the GCSE last year and got A*s, is nothing like as good as that of the ones who took it early under the old system.

6. musiclover1

Thank you, everyone. I'll get cracking on the um....zu - I think that'll do them good.

7. musiclover1

I like your CA on the environment,noemie, can I use that for my class, please?[​IMG]

8. musiclover1

And the CA's that you posted were really reassuring because they weren't word-perfect and the pupils had done them for themselves, but they still received good grades. I hope mine will be ok, too.

9. Good luck everyone in CAs. They were so badly marked in 2011 that we are all in the lap of the gods.
    I have no qualms about bending the rules or breaking the spirit if not the letter because the whole idea of CA is so unbelievably preposterous. If a chief examiner from the 70s had fallen into a coma and woke up last week he would think he had woken up in hell. Or possibly that it was some sort of twisted practical joke.
    Ofqual: feel ashamed of what you have done. When China, India etc run the world economy we will look back at CA as a symbol of the age of educational charlatanry and wonder how we ever allowed ourselves as a previously civilised society to become so stupid.

10. Many thanks, Noemie, for the link to the pronunciation website. A fantastic resource to help the students. Interesting that for Spanish there is only 'Latin Am.', but still a tremendous help for a section of the exam we can't help students with, at least for now. Would anyone like to take any bets that CA will not exist very soon?!

11. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

lissadler, of course, help yourself! It's not much different than the old coursework about the environment, though!

12. musiclover1

I never taught coursework, so this is all new to me.