1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to Big Writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by juicy274, Dec 27, 2010.

1. We are beginning to use big writing after Christmas. I understand how the actual big write lesson works on Friday, but how do you build up to this throughout the week? Just with VCOP activities in each lesson? Does anybody use a particular structure to their build up of lessons thoughout the week that works well?
    Struggling with finding where to start, having had only one staff meeting spent discussing it [​IMG]

2. You would use shorter activities and modelling and shared writing to build up to the chn completing a similar task on the Friday.
    I usetasks such as connective building, improving openings, finishing off paragraphs using exciting words,shared writing on a topic and then on the Friday the children use all theyve learnt to do it independently.
    I think tho all schools do their own versiuon of it adapted to how they want it to work.

3. I'm not sure there's supposed to be any build up during the week to the Big Writing task - if you go by the book I think this task is supposed to be something completely different.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Big Writing in our school is rather like a weekly test of all the grammar the children have learned during the week.

The genre is usually something they did a week or so ago, so is not built up to in that particular week.

Have to say it is my least favourite part of the week, wouldn't recommend it. I'd rather be teaching than testing.