1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New to A Level AQA

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by japonica892, Jul 12, 2016.

1. japonica892

japonica892 New commenter

Hi There

I was wondering what extracts you normally look at (or are thinking of looking at) for the new AQA A Level specification. I have chased to study Servant and two masters and also metamorphosis as whole texts but am looking for inspiring ideas for extracts for C3 making Theatre.

Thanks

2. CreativeEducation

CreativeEducation New commenter

Hi.
    I've started looking at A Servant to Two Masters and Yerma for the written exam. The reason I didn't choose metamorphosis is because I like students to explore Berkoff practically and some texts are great as performance extracts. Also, as one of the prescribed practitioners, it makes it great to perform some of his work or work in his style for this component. Regardless, you could look at Naturalism and study extracts from any Lorca play (Yerma, blood wedding, House of B A). In the past I've found Lorca's characters to be particularly good and you can go into a lot of depth with students when exploring these characters in rehearsal.
    You could also look at Frantic Assembly which tends to be very engaging for students. Do some workshops on physical theatre for a few weeks leading up to the introduction of an extract from 'The Curious Incident of the Dog In The NightTime' or Mark Ravenhill's 'Pool (no water)'. Students tend to find both of these texts engaging and sometimes its nice for students to do something a little bit different and really explore boundaries. Animal Farm is another script which can be quite exciting when looking at it from the point of view of physical theatre and exploring the creation of the animals as characters through the body.
    If you're look at the first two extracts which have no requirement to have any practitioner, you're options are pretty limitless as long as they don't clash with the style of your component one texts. Good luck teaching the new spec :)