1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New textbook on Four Part Harmony incl. Bach Chorales - great for A/AS Level (all boards)

Discussion in 'Music' started by Subtonic, Sep 3, 2012.

1. As it is the start of a new year, I would like to draw your attention to a great new resource on Four Part Harmony and Bach Chorales that is specifically aimed at passing A and AS Level examinations.

Perhaps your results last year were not what you hoped for, or perhaps you're starting teaching harmony for the first time... this resource contains everything a student needs to know to pass a typical exam paper.

It is an extra resource to supplement your teaching; it can fill in any gaps in your knowledge and save you an enormous amount of time in preparing resources.

Specifically designed with the criteria of the major exam boards in mind, it starts with the basics and progresses through to advanced topics such as diminished sevenths and secondary dominants. It is not just a set of exercises but a concise explanation of what students need to know, written in pupil-friendly language.

It is fully indexed and cross-referenced throughout, and contains many SATB examples. Guidelines are given on how to harmonise a chorale melody in the style of J.S. Bach.

The price also includes the licence to photocopy it as many times as you like!

For more information, and to buy, go to:

http://www.classroom-resources.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Four_Part_Harmony_2866.html

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Agreed
    I think you'd have a lot of difficulty convincing students that diminished triads "tend to sound bad".
    Indeed. I'd just tell them that diminished triads are more complicated, and so will be dealt with later. I really don't think they'd find the "sounds bad" argument very convincing.
    Anyway, it was only a small point. Good luck with the publication.