1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New TES Jobs design and search

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by fleetingsound, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Well they've changed the jobs page and it's a nightmare to navigate.

Took me ages to work out how to search for jobs.

Cannot find how to view all international jobs rather than subject specific ones.

They've brought back view new jobs and that is about the only positive.

When they read the criticism from people they'll be thinking that we just need time to adjust but I'm sorry if I go on there and cannot work out how to search for jobs then their design is poor.

FS

2. gail_sharratt

gail_sharratt New commenter

Thank goodness somebody else has found it impossible to use too. I thought I was going loopy!

3. Hi fleetingsound,
    We've got a new international jobs channel which hopefully should help you find the latest jobs. Check it out at https://www.tes.co.uk/international-education-jobs
    From there you can click on role or phase and see a list of all the relevant international jobs. To see a map view of this click on the Map view button on the right hand side of the red block.
    Alternatively if you want to filter down by region use the Location filter on the left hand side.
    Hope that helps, but if you need any more info let us know. You can email us at help@tes.co.uk
    Best wishes
    Gail

4. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Yes, it's a BLOODY STUPID change!

Did it not occur to the moron that changed things that being able to search for a job based on the subject you teach or where you want to live is what the majority of people find useful.

5. Hello
    A number of people have asked why TES Jobs has changed and I'd like to explain the thinking behind the new design.

Over the past six months we've been working with users of TES jobs to understand how we could improve the job search experience. Our analysis showed that some of you were either getting too many or too few search results and we wanted to make it easier and quicker for our customers to find the jobs relevant to them.

Our testing revealed that most users started their job search by pinpointing their role or their phase and that's why we've put these options up top at www.tes.co.uk/jobs.

Once these selections have been made we wanted to make it easier for customers to filter the results to exactly match their needs. So at that point you can now carry out a postcode search to find jobs local to you or you can further drill down by contract term, contract type and grade.

When you've got your list of relevant jobs, it's then easy to save this search so you can go back to it again quickly and easily and to create a job alert so the latest relevant jobs are emailed directly to your inbox. To get to your saved searches again log onto TES, click on your username in the black bar at the top of the page and then select My jobs.

As well as improving the relevance of search results we've also addressed some very specific requests. For example you can now filter the job results to show the newest jobs at the top or to view those positions that are coming up to their closing date. Some of our users also told us they wanted to have a map view with real location information rather than just a general image highlighting a region, so we've also provided that feature.

Having said all of this, we do understand that our updates will take some time to get used to and they may not suit everyone's requirements. Let me reassure you we are collecting and responding to all of your feedback and we will be reading it in detail over the next few days and it will help us make any necessary changes.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, it's much appreciated. You can contact us at any time at help@tes.co.uk

PS you can still do keyword searches for jobs. Here's a link to help Jobs keywords search help

Best wishes
    Gail

6. kirkdax

kirkdax New commenter

Really? I found selecting by 'subject' and' location' more helpful.

7. Have to say one of THE most useful things about the old jobs search was you could search by area/location, which especially for international jobs is a MASSIVE bonus - seeing what the overall job market is like for an area is key imho for searching for a job - the one I get might not work out, so i need to know I can find another and if you have many strings to your bow in terms of what you can/want to teach its by far the easiest way to search.
    Not really sure why you have taken out this level of functionality and taken a step backwards TES.
    Fail I'm afraid.

8. hi
    there are so few jobs at the moment in cumbria that usually i search by a 50 mile post code search
    i have not found this possible
    we also have surplus of maths teachers here so i usually look at all jobs available to see if they are suitable -this means that a key word search is unhelpful
    please reinstate the 50 mile post code search
    i like the web site it has been really easy to use in the past and much quicker than going thro'100s of newspaper pages
    Who did you do your research on? Not someone from a very rural area with few jobs.....
    louise

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

On another note, I have just signed in. It used to tell me/I could see straight away if I had messages. What happened? I don't see this any more

10. Can I add my voice to the others who are asking for the map or geographical search to return.
    Stephen

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

It won't be changed. It wasn't last time (2008/9?) when they changed the format and people complained.
    How about doing some kind of questionnaire next time. Ask people opinions rather than paying some techno geek to analyse the way searches are done etc and base the changes on that.

12. Thousands of jobs searchers and schools will lose out due to the poor design of the new Jobs page.

I would imagine that a big meeting took place to discuss how the site could be improved yes? How could so many things have been overlooked I ask?

I'm sorry TES people and web page designers your ideas and design falls well short of what the users want.

Meet again, read the complaints and please get it redesigned.

Thank you

FS

13. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

I must say that these changes do seem to make thing immeasurably more difficult than it was last week. I always used to enjoy seeing the bigger picture. Trolling through all of the jobs meant one could see what the opposition were doing, you could see where abouts in the contract cycle other schools were.

One thing that I did notice is that when I clicked on the link provided in the post by the TES apologist there were four more sponsored links. Three from a certain College and one from Barnet Council. Unless she can explain to me how Barnet Council have anything to do with International Education then I am afraid that I will have to believe that this is all just a ploy by the TES to "product place" schools, and councils, which pay them more. Another lack of impartiality I feel.

Back in the trench now......

Perce

max5775 likes this.
  14. No PMs anymore? How do I access it?

15. I have been using TES website for very many years but this new layout is puting me off!
    Previously, for international jobs, it was easy to have a quick check on what was being advertised, now it is not so easy, you cannot see everything at once. I liked to see all roles in all places and make comparisons. TES you have made a mess of this, let us have back our old website and search options which we all loved.
    This new lay-out hinders general searching, it is not good and I don't like it.

16. Thank you for your feedback on SEN jobs - I will make sure that this is tackled by our jobs team.
    Quite a few of you have also said they like to browse through all jobs as they might find a job that would be of interest to their friends. I'll also make sure this message is passed on.
    Many thanks
    Gail

17. Hi splink,
    I'm going to check up on the RSS feed option on Monday, I'll keep you posted.
    Best wishes
    Gail

18. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Gail, you are doing a terrific job.
    I am not qualified to opine about the old and new search facilties, but take my hat off to your calm, good humoured perseverance.

19. Hi Syria1
    Thank you for your feedback, we are looking at the location search issue right now. As soon as I have more information I'll post a message on here.
    Best wishes
    Gail

20. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Ahem, judging by this thread, not only did that comment made me chuckle, but P45's (oops, I'm showing my age) should be in the post for the Jobs Product Team by the weekend.