1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NEW TES DT PAGE NOW OPEN

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Spencer_DT, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Hi there, my name is Spencer Herbert and am the TES DT Advisor. We have our very own DT Landing Page which has recently opened for business. Expect to see updates every Monday with info on the best topics on the forum, collections of great resources, featured resources, current goings on etc. But I can also include those items which YOU would like to see featured. Tell me about a new exhibition in your area, an important discussion on the forum, tell me about a great resource as yet reviewed. Why not write a review for a DT resource on the site and post up the link and your short write up. You post it here, if I can use it, then it WILL be posted up on the Landing page every Monday. Tell me what you want to see and we will try and make it happen.
    www.tes.co.uk/tes-design
    Cheers
    Spencer

2. Spencer_DT

Thank You for your ideas modelmaker, I will get them on the TES landing page
    www.tes.co.uk/tes-design for this Monday.
    http://99percentinvisible.org/ is a site about architecture and it's name is derived from the fact that much of the design that goes into a building and makes it work better than other buildings goes unnoticed. But there were good reasons behind the innovations.
    Another is http://www.thingiverse.com/ where people share ideas they've been working on on their 3D printers, talk about the reasons they needed to modify their designs, the pitfalls they've had to overcome from the limitations of their machines and how they did it. The thing is, they accept the fact that you can't design the perfect object in one hit, but by re-designing it, getting advice from other forum users and so on, they eventually get there.
    Cheers
    Spencer

3. Spencer_DT

4. Spencer_DT

Within the TES DT landing page you will find a section for our Teacher Panel. These are a group of people chosen for a number of reasons but primarily owing to the superb resources they have shared with us on the site. Please take some time to have a look, some of the names you may well recognise.
    Cheers
    Spencer

5. Hi Spencer,

I have just checked out your link to http://99percentinvisible.org/ I loved the film about Galloping Gertie. I now have my starter for my year 8 structures lesson. The kids will love to watch the bridge sway, the dog being rescued and then the final destruction. I am sure this will get their attention straight away.

Thanks,
    Jo

6. Spencer_DT

Cheers Jo, glad to be of help.

Spencer[​IMG]

7. Spencer_DT

Any suggestions, anything in particular which you would like to see mentioned or highlighted on the landing page?
    Cheers
    Spencer

8. Hi Spencer,
    I am a highly motivated Design and Technology teacher, based in Tasmania Australia. I create content in PDF format, video and online Moodle content. I am just wondering if my content would be of any use to Tes members. My hobby web site is www.digitalteacher.com.au
    The area specific to Design and Technology is in the Super Tech area. Would love to link up with Tech teachers from around the world.
    Cheers
    john Doubleday

9. Spencer_DT

Hi John,

Yes we would be very interested in viewing and then possibly using some of your ideas. If you create an account on the resource part of the site you can start uploading your resources. When done, contact me via this forum discussion and I will see if I can make one of them "resource of the week" for the DT landing page.

Cheers

Spencer

10. Hi Spencer,
    Talking to Charlie Patterson at the moment will get back soon.
    cheers
    johnD

11. I wonder how many D&T teachers have been on the Practical action website. It is a mine of information and where i was inspired to prepare my Pumping water is childs play. Today I revisitied it after getting my regular Practical action ejournal with a fab section on how a determined ladyturned around thefortune of her whole community by introducing the treadle pump ( new to me ) but so simple. I really wish I was still teaching . Its a fantastic technology week project.
    http://practical-action.org/6WS-SN45-4357J71636/cr.aspx?b=4