1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New terminology/jargon. Does it make sense?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Anonymous, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have just been reading about 'deconstructed role play'. I have read the ABC blog but am no closer to understanding why the role play is called 'deconstructed'. Children have always taken what they want and used it as they want in order to work through their own schemes. Surely this could just as well be called 'children's imaginative role play. It would be much easier for people to understand. Deconstructed doesn't even make linguistic sense. Why is there more and more jargon in EY? Is it to make the people who invent these new terms feel as if they have invented a new concept? I don't think it is helpful to use this kind of meaningless language.

2. perhaps it should read
    putting the play back into role-play......

there maybe that, in plain english , is what it is about
    no need for those long evenings to write up long, medium and short term planning of detailed expected outcomes so that SMT can feel safe, or to satisfy 'OFSTED', then more evnings to set up an elaborate garden centre/travel agents/post office and then fret when the children don't do any of it and play something like shops or hunt the tiger,smack the baby or othe moble phone call on the bus scenario materials, time, space..... observation, one thing standing for another, fluidity and just good old-fashioned, child-directed (maybe adult stimulated or even initiated but child continued, directed, driven) play.

For the children in the schools and clases of those who need permission to do this, then perhaps the consultant in question is highly necessary.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm afraid it doesn't mean no planning yohana

4. Ho Ho HO- (sounding like father xmas)........

I want to say it lke that though because how else do we acknowledge and change the mind set that sits over everyone and which implies that teachers do not know what they are doing if it isn't written down in triplicate before hand, carbon copied and handed to SMT ready for the imminent (it always is) OFSTED.

it isn't about planning the play, perhaps preparation would be a better word as this involves preparation of the adults to observe, to understand the dynamicprocesses of play etc it does mean though that the elaborate, over-planned role-play of the kind that often saw us producing signs that the Holiday program would be proud of until late in the night is counter-productive and that observation, co-constucted planning with children is more effective. The simpler more broadly sketched the better. That's all. Msz.

5. Msz

In six OFSTED inspections I have only once been asked to produce written planning.

6. have you read what many people are being obliged to present in their schools by the non-early years management teams very often withe the justification that it is for OFSTED. Or have you read what expectation the SIPs and LEA advisors also place on schools in the form of written planning?

You may well be right and you have astutley and assiduously pointed out the lack of requirement for detailed written planning many times in your posts.

yet many people and schools do not seem to have your knowledge or conviction- don't you think?

7. Msz

As I have said many many times over the years I am very thankful that I work for a LA that demonstrates lots of common sense and a head teacher who trusts in the experience, knowledge and professionalism of his EY staff.

8. great for you (and I) my dear Msz! don't you think it though that sometimes it is worth courting a little bit tof controversy by stating, or over-stating at times, the obvious just to give a bit of back up the many, many people who write into these forums from much less fortunate postions than our own?

That is not to say that what you contribute in here is anything but supremely well targeted and referenced to the offical sources if people follow them up.

to question planning, is not to question the need to PREPARE and be PREPARED at all levels, and perhaps the one doesn't preclude the other but the use of one -planning- has become so debased I think, so linked to the excessive documentation that burdens ALL teachers, that it is nowadays very hard to use the word without negative association.

9. Msz

Oh I'm quite happy to court controversy and to inform advisers, inspectors, SIPs and other members of the management team when they are "mistaken" but I fear as a profession EY teachers are unlikely to make a stand and will produce huge worthless files or planning.. evidence or risk assessments, albeit with a grumble, ... when requested by the aforementioned

10. Msz.
    your country needs you!

11. Msz

However I've jumped ship and now happily reside in Y2

12. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Planning is wot we do on Sunday nights so we can play all week.
    Sigh.
    Deconstructed role play is open ended provision. Enhancement is having new things to get out and storage space for them/budget for them.
    Deconstructed role play and enhancement are two georgeous words we can use when fighting against the ludicrous concept of structured play. Ya all know, the one where we make a travel agents and the children all write post cards from Majorca, the evil literacy and numeracy opportunities in the play based curriculum. All that fishing magnetic letters out of the water tray. Faugh. Pooh.
    So fighting the pretend we are playing but really we are teaching our agenda requires an inpenetrable vocabulary so that those who do not understand or do not really care, will go away and let us teach the children to proper play.
    Enhancements can only happen if the teacher has a huge room in which to store stuff stuff and more stuff or is happy to turn over her /his home to tubs of stuff stuff and more stuff.
    I like deconstructed role play as a term. It's the way forward. Cardboard boxes and imagination.
    Lots of talk. Child initiated play. Let's go there.

13. NellyFUF

In fact, I suggest deconstructed play as the way to go.

14. NellyFUF

In a fantasy world my last HT told of a someone who threw out all the trash and got children new stuff (Whingate) and wanted something similar to happen our place. Without budget of course. Then wanted children pretending to dig up potatoes after potato harvesting - without actually being able to plant potatoes in the first place.
    I love where I am now. I get to plant potatoes. Then we harvest them. Children adore this. No need for any faux play about it. We do it. We plant peas and then eat the ***.
    At some point in our madness we have lost REAL life experiences as the tool for developing understanding and skills. And knowledge. We think playing at garden centre or estate agents make compensation for children who never go to such places.
    Let's get deconstructed role play and real life experiences back into the curriculum. Lose the structured play. Get some adult initiated/led activities boiling without feeling guilty. Go for it.

15. They need jargon to make themselves seem intelligent and informed . If you go on his blog and find his advice i=on teaching reading you will see that this piece of jargon is not the only ridiculous stuff he has spouted.

16. NellyFUF

HO ho ho.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Nelly dear, I was there for 31 years. Paradise.

18. 'riduculous words' teejay but do you agree with the gist of it? Or is reading your only concern for young children? I wonder what he says that irritates so much? Is he against the schooling and systematising of reading before speaking and playing and growing socially and independently? Is it so bad (as said on the other whiteboards in reception debate), so bad to takje the pressure of all of this until the children and their teachers are at a stage where it all makes more sense from both perspectives?

What do you offer as alternative to his cumbersome but well intended observation that we trust children less in their independent play because we feel we have to justify ALL their activity ALL of the time they are in a 'setting'?

19. What he says about reading is here: http://abcdoes.typepad.com/abc-does-a-blog/2011/02/early-reading-skills-ready-to-read.html Read it before you continue.......... It is not that what he says about reading irritates me. It depresses me. What he says is a far cry from research into the teaching of reading and from latest government guidelines. It is pseudo-scientific claptrap masquerading as informed opinion. Uninformed people will be influenced by this sort of stuff. He even includes the Cambridge University hoax chain email as some sort of scientific research. This guy is paid to go around the country telling people how to teach.

20. Msz

I don't need to go to his blog to know he is intelligent and informed and very passionate about Early Years eduation, while I might disagree with his ideas on the way to teach reading a great deal of what he says is worth listening to and trying in your own practice. Alistair had a huge influence on the establishment of our FSU (7 or 8 years ago? ... time flies when you are having fun).He has also worked with us to successfully develop KS1 and I use many of his ideas in my day to day teaching (just not reading [​IMG] ) it works! Children succeed and grow as learners ... isn't that what we want?