1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Technology to Learn Chinese Characters!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by nicolay_shinkin, Feb 15, 2017.

1. nicolay_shinkin

nicolay_shinkin New commenter

When we analyze something we better understand and quickly memorize it. The same is with the learning Chinese characters.

When we see and understand what radicals and components the character consists of, our mind does not resist to absorbing this information.

We easily learn what we understand. If we do not understand the structure of a character, then we need to spend hours and days writing and writing this character.

Let us analyze the Chinese character去 qù ‘go’

去 qù go

土 tǔ earth

十 shí ten

一 yī one

丨 gǔn line

一 yī one

厶 sī private

土十一丨一厶

Now the character去 looks more familiar to us, doesn’t it?

2. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

What is the 'technology' you are referring to in title of thread?

3. nicolay_shinkin

'Technology' I mean the process, method, principle, chain, the way how to break Chinese character down radicals and components.

Let us see decomposition chain of the Chinese Character 小 xiǎo ‘small’ :

亅 jué hook

八 bā eight

By means of decomposition my students achieve very high academic records in the Chiese character learning.

Dodros likes this.
  4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Thank you for explaining the rationale underpinning the construction of these Chinese characters. Pattern recognition lies at the very heart of human intelligence, which is why "Intelligence tests" rely on pattern matching to assess cognitive ability and aptitude. I can see how it helps when deciphering ideographic languages such as Chinese and I can understand why the term "artificial intelligence" is applied when computers "learn" and solve problems using pattern recognition.

My teaching languages are French and German. I have a GCE O-level in Latin and completed one year's worth of evening classes in Russian while I was a sixth former in the mid-1960s. I've never had a Chinese lesson in my life, but that hasn't prevented me from working with online Chinese texts when pursuing my hobbies and interests now I'm retired. The problem with Chinese-language websites is that the Chinese characters are often posted as images rather than individual symbols. Here's an example, which I obtained as a screenshot while researching swimming gear:

DM1.png

My next step was to find an Optical Character Recognition website that would convert the little images into characters. There are two competent free sites able to convert Chinese: i2ocr and Newocr. The problem is that the websites' OCR engine makes mistakes when the Chinese characters in the original image are less than perfect. So my strategy is to get the converted Chinese text into a Word document and try to correct it manually using the "Insert Symbol" feature. It can be a very laborious process locating the right symbol because the Chinese fonts contain hundreds of them. When all else fails, I will simply select the preceding or succeeding characters and copy them into Google and if I'm lucky, the search engine will come up with a string of characters from a site including the correct symbol. Anyway, here's the result of my labours:

1﹒ 適用範圍:本標準適用於休閒活勤使用之潛水鏡〔以下簡稱面鏡〕。
    2﹒ 品 質
    2﹒1 構造及外觀
    (1) 面鏡之各部分及其配件須加工良好,且不得有引起傷害之虞之毛邊或銳角等。
    (2) 面鏡之綁帶如設計為可調整式,調整扣環於潤濕情況下應不致滑脫。
    (3) 鏡片不得有扭曲、裂縫、氣泡、㓤痕、波紋、模糊及雜質等缺點。
    (4) 鏡片遏緣應無危害銳遏。
    (5) 若於面鏡上裝置排水瓣時,則當使用者以鼻吹氣時,水應可自排水瓣自行 流出。 使用老吸氣時,水不致進人面鏡。
    2﹒2 扭力試驗: 面鏡上之綁帶及調整扣環經拉力試驗後、不得產生永久變形、脫落、或斷裂等現象。
    2﹒3 水密性: 鏡框與鏡片間之接合處,經水密性試驗,不得有水滲人。
    2﹒4 鏡片衝擊試驗:不得有破裂 龜裂等現象。
    2﹒5 鏡片光線透週率: 不得低於 89%。

And the main thing is that the text makes some sense if you run it through an online translator. The main obstacle I faced was the symbol search in Word and I was wondering what the logic of the list order of the Chinese characters was. For example, if I take your character "小", I find it in the font sequence:

I can see the shape of the original character "小" reappearing in the successive characters with one exception, "尚" (printed in red). Why is it in that position in the font character sequence?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  5. nicolay_shinkin

The Chinese character 小 xiǎo ‘small' being a radical is very productive in terms of the Chinese characters creation. It can be met in quite a number of the Chinese characters.

Here is the example how character 小 xiǎo ‘small' is seen in the decomposition chain.

Decomposition of the Chinese character 您 nín ‘you’:

你 nǐ you

亻 rén man

尔 ěr you

冖 mì cover

小 xiǎo small

亅 jué hook

八 bā eight

心 xīn heart

丿 piě slash

乚 yǐ second

丶 zhǔ dot