1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Teaching Standards 2012: e-Portfolio Design: have we got it right?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by mslatif1, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Quick background:
    I'm an ICT teacher and I'm also one of the technical administrators for the site:
    http://www.e-Portfolios.net
    issue:
    I'm looking for some advice/opinions from Heads of Department, Mentors, tutors and other experienced professionals who regularly mentor other teachers.
    As you're probably aware the new Standards kick in this September and in anticipation of that I was tasked to update the Core Standards to the new Teachers' Standards on the e-Portfolio system.
    Seemed simple enough.. that is until I got round to actually having to decide what to add and what to leave behind..
    To make sense of what I'm saying, please login here:
    http://www.e-portfolios.net/login_view.php
    Teacher ID: Demo
    Key: 1234
    Click on "Prof'l Standards" and then "new Standards"
    You'll notice these are the new Teachers' Standards.
    Now
    Q1) Is the "Preamble" a Standard...and would you expect evidence from your trainee(s) for this?
    if not.:(which is what I originally thought) justify it as the standards document clearly says this should be met by <u>all</u> teachers? So surely this should be evidenced?

Q2) in Part 1, there are 8 standards but each had bullet points. So I added these as 1.1, 1.2 etc Is this right? or should I only have added the 8 core standards instead?
    Please justify your answer.. and remember, when looking at evidence, would you like to see it all under one standard or seperated into its "scope"?

Q3) I've added all 3 statements in Part 2 as standards, is this right?
    if not, please do justify it.
    Look forward to reading your comments/suggestions...
    Thanks for reading!

2. Quick background:
    I'm an ICT teacher and I'm also one of the technical administrators for the site:
    http://www.e-Portfolios.net
    issue:
    I'm looking for some advice/opinions from Heads of Department, Mentors, tutors and other experienced professionals who regularly mentor other teachers.
    As you're probably aware the new Standards kick in this September and in anticipation of that I was tasked to update the Core Standards to the new Teachers' Standards on the e-Portfolio system.
    Seemed simple enough.. that is until I got round to actually having to decide what to add and what to leave behind..
    To make sense of what I'm saying, please login here:
    http://www.e-portfolios.net/login_view.php
    Teacher ID: Demo
    Key: 1234
    Click on "Prof'l Standards" and then "new Standards"
    You'll notice these are the new Teachers' Standards.
    Now
    Q1) Is the "Preamble" a Standard...and would you expect evidence from your trainee(s) for this?
    if not.:(which is what I originally thought) justify it as the standards document clearly says this should be met by <u>all</u> teachers? So surely this should be evidenced?

Q2) in Part 1, there are 8 standards but each had bullet points. So I added these as 1.1, 1.2 etc Is this right? or should I only have added the 8 core standards instead?
    Please justify your answer.. and remember, when looking at evidence, would you like to see it all under one standard or seperated into its "scope"?

Q3) I've added all 3 statements in Part 2 as standards, is this right?
    if not, please do justify it.
    Look forward to reading your comments/suggestions...
    Thanks for reading!

3. It's a little late, and you have probably resolved the issue now, but I am starting my NQT year this September, and I personally think that, like you, the Preamble isn't a standard, but rather a description of what a high quality teacher (their characteristics, behaviour etc) is in order to be effective.

I like the fact you have broken the 8 standards down (as shown in the DFE document), I think this allows the user to tick (physically or mentally) each sub-heading that is really there just for clarifying the standard, to ensure you have securely met each of the 8 standards.

Having identified Part 2 as 'standards', I think this is the right call to make - the DFE documentation clearly states "Part 2 comprises the STANDARDS for Professional and Personal Conduct'

This is the first time I have come across this e-portfolio - I like! :)

Hope some of that helps (though it is probably irrelevant, now 2 months down the line!) Sam

4. Thanks for that.
    We have it all sorted now.
    Infact we've gone one step further:
    http://www.e-portfolios.net/teachers_standards.phpIt's an exhaustive list of suitable evidence against each of the new Teachers' Standards (2012)
    I'm sure it'll benefit you and be a source of relief for many others!
    Saleem