1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Teaching Career Direction?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by missdwilson, Apr 25, 2016.

?

What's the best teaching situation?

1. Permanent

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Temporary/Short-term

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Daily Supply

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Private School

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Academy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Primary

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Secondary

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. missdwilson

missdwilson New commenter

Hello,
    I'm a Canadian Teacher in my second year of teaching in the UK.
    I teach Maths and Science and I've been with 2 secondary schools in 2 years now and want a break!
    I was thinking of doing Daily Supply work. I know it can be rough doing supply work, but I want less responsibility and still need work. I'd consider getting a permanent or temporary contract with a school after supplying with them for a while.
    All tips and advice are appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Danielle (-:

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My suggestion is that you scroll down the forums list and read on the Supply forum to get more information.

Best wishes

3. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Seems like a plan, apart the likelihood of it. I have done, 2 maternity covers, one 6 months one a bit longer, and 3 long term sick cover placements. They totalled nearly 3 academic years. Did not get one permanent or temporary contract out of them.

Only now, do I stand a chance of a contract, but only because the school had a unique set of circumstances that I have not come across before, and is unusual, but they found themselves with a vacancy in a strange way.

This though is unusual, and the comment sounded a bit glib, so thought I'd chuck that in just in case you were relying on this unlikely outcome.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

The words 'you can't have your cake and eat it' springs to mind here, sorry.

Supply is fine if you can afford not to work. You don't say your personal situation other that stating you have to work. Does that mean full time or at least a few days a week etc?

You are unlikely to earn a salary you do now by supply. Longer term gigs will expect a level of commitment as well. The trade off for a steadier wage. Don't discount pension and maternity benefits of staying in full time work either.

wanet likes this.
  5. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

I'd like to add, as someone who did supply for several years, it gets lonely. You still have to mark work, have a lot more behaviour issues to deal eith, but you don't get the relationships with pupils, staff or parents. You are not always trusted, because every school has had at least one naff supply teacher, and the flexibility is a trade off... you lose out on some of the best parts of teaching!

6. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta New commenter

I request you to explore teaching online. You can freelance or join some tutoring company. It takes time to pick up but is worth trying. I switched from classroom teaching to online teaching at the age of fifty three.I had no idea of technology but learned on my way. It is quite enjoyable and prospects are bright.

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You may want a break but can you afford to be broke?

Daily supply is crowded - and increasingly schools are using internal cover. A fixed term contract at least gives you sick and holiday pay - as do permanent jobs. Don't forget - long term supply means no sick pay and no holiday pay.