1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new teaching assistant

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by helen0301, Aug 5, 2017.

1. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter

hi guys.
    ive landed myself a level two teaching assistant post for September in a primary school.
    ive not yet found out what class I have got.
    I am starting college in September to complete my level two supporting teaching and learning in schools qualification.
    As its getting closer I'm starting to doubt whether I can do the job or not and I'm feeling really anxious.
    I went to an induction week and really enjoyed it but I have a lot of self doubt.
    Did anyone else feel like this before they started?
    If anyone has any advice or tips for me it would be greatfully received.
    Thanks
    x

install likes this.
  2. karlkarlkarl

karlkarlkarl New commenter

No one will expect you to walk into the school and be able to do everything. I'm moving to reception in September (been in Yr5 and Yr3 before), I know I will be learning as I go along in some respects. As long as you are keen and use your initiative I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck :)

helen0301 and install like this.
  3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Congratulations.
    Take a notebook and your own mug on the first day. Find out how to use the photocopier and where the spare books, glue, pencils etc are kept and you will be fine. Different staff like things done different ways so try and follow the methods if you are in more than one class. Just be willing and pleasant and you will be fine.

helen0301, Trekkie and install like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Please stop worrying about the unknown. This is not good for your health.

Think of it this way : you are new in post and your training starts in September...

helen0301 likes this.
  5. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Great advice from snugglepot!

Also useful to have a pencil case - when you find the stationery cupboard you can add pens, pencils, sharpener, felt tip pens, gluestick etc.

helen0301 likes this.
  6. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

Hi there . I really sympathise as although I have been volunteering since last September and have completed my level 2 , im still so nervous ! I just tell myself every ta started where we are now and we will gain experience over time . I'm sure everything will be fine . They will know you are new so won't expect you to know everything. Good luck. I'm working 1 to 1 with a boy with special needs in reception . This wasn't really something I was expecting to do as a first job so I'm hoping it goes ok!

helen0301 likes this.
  7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations on your new job, helen0301! Great advice as always from snugglepot and trekkie. Try not to worry - you must have impressed at your interview; they chose you because they wanted you. Don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure about anything, people are generally very willing to help - even if you forget things and have to ask again. We've all been there! Smile and be friendly with other TAs, they will probably be your greatest source of information. At first, the class teacher will tell you everything they want you to do, but you will be surprised at how quickly you will learn the class routines and the many tasks which need to be done every day. Take your cues about behaviour management from the class teacher - although every school has a behaviour policy, each teacher will have their own way of doing things and it's important that you are working as a team.
    It's an exciting time for you - enjoy it!

helen0301 likes this.
  8. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter

Thankyou. Got all my bits ready. The first two days are inset days so I think we are training on how to use all the equipment so should be knowledgable on that side of things ready for when all the children come back.
    Thankyou

9. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter

Thankyou this is great advice. X

10. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter

Thankyou :) good luck with your new job post I'm sure you will do great x

11. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter

Great tip Thankyou.

12. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter