1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Teaching Assistant Pay Help

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by midnightsun1, Sep 27, 2020.

1. midnightsun1

midnightsun1 New commenter

I recently accepted a Teaching Assistant position in my graduate subject. This is at a Secondary School.

I received my offer letter last week, and I am disappointed as the pay wasn't what I was expecting and I am hugely disappointed. My offer letter states that the job is under Local Pay Point 7, which amounts to £19,554 per annum with a pending pay award. The post is for 37 hours per week and I am only paid for 44.5 weeks of the year (during school term times). This was all stated in the application when I applied for the job.

As I continued reading my offer letter, it stated that my salary will be paid in accordance with the local single status grade 4 - (£19,554 - £21,166), which is all fine. HOWEVER, I then read that my ACTUAL commencing salary will be £16,687 per annum (pending pay award).

I don't really understand how it has jumped down from £19,544 to £16,687 per annum. It seems like a huge difference. Am I missing something here? I don't understand why it has jumped down to this amount.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Only working 37 hours and 44.5 weeks. Did it state pro rata

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's roughly 44.5 / 52.1 times the stated salary - the reduction is because you're only paid for 44.5 weeks. Be glad it's 37 hours a week - all too often TAs are only paid for the length of the school day, or the teaching hours, and so the amount is reduced significantly again.