1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Teachers

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by claller2, May 7, 2019.

1. claller2

claller2 New commenter

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You probably could have just described the online service you are thinking of setting up and asked if trainee teachers/NQTs would be interested in subscribing to it.

3. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

As someone currently mentoring a trainee, I think the kind of service implied by the questions (that you would check their planning and edit it for a fee) would be unhelpful. The conversations that I have with my trainee about their classes and the units of work we have at our school are far more useful given that I know our school's principles and the expectations we have of our students.

A trainee is expected to make mistakes. It's a developmental process and they're not the finished article. I'd argue that by making mistakes and learning from them they emerge as stronger teachers.

Furthermore, a student teacher is likely to have aspects of their subject knowledge that need to be addressed. Heaven knows, I did as a trainee. What subjects are you an expert in? Would you be able to review an NQT's planning of France in Revolution, 1774-1815? What about their knowledge of the Mughal Empire, 1526-1707? Or the most appropriate way to conjugate verbs in a formal letter in German? Or the moral ambiguity at the heart of Shakespeare's Hamlet? Or chiaroscuro shading? Quadratic equations? Photosynthesis? Oxbow lakes?

blueskydreaming likes this.