1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New teacher

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Dan301986, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Dan301986

Dan301986 New commenter

Hi all, I hope term 2 is treating everyone kindly thus far.

So, I completed my PGCE last year and (maybe fortunately) was offered a Drama position in a good internationally school in Egypt on a 2 year contract which I accepted.
    I have been here since August, however there are no signs about beginning my NQT process and I am not sure how to go about registering. Can anybody point me in the right direction for how to get the ball rolling on this please? Any help would be appreciated!

Dan.

2. PhuMyHung

PhuMyHung New commenter

Only certain international schools have the ability to take a teacher through their induction year into registration. Did you speak to the school about this before starting your role?

I would recommend posting this in the teaching abroad forum too. There are a lot of knowledgeable teachers on there working abroad.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

It is up to your school to register you. Is you school able to offer a NQT induction, only certain overseas schools can.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

As others have said, you may or may not be able to complete your induction year in your current school. The induction year ("NQT year") is a requirement for those teaching in British state schools. As you aren't, you don't need to do it (yet... if/when you return to the UK and wish to teach in a state school, you will need to do it then). A few international schools are authorised to assess NQTs by the British standards, but if you haven't heard or been told anything about it, the likelihood is that your school isn't one of them. That's not a problem; you'll just do it when you return to the UK (if they're still doing it by that point!).

5. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

Just a quick heads up...NQT induction will be 2 years from September 2020

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Only in
    • the north east;
    • Greater Manchester;
    • Bradford; and
    • Doncaster.
    Which will inform a national roll out in 2021