1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New teacher

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Robak1991, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Robak1991

Robak1991 New commenter

I am currently 3 months into my employement and I am on the verge of thinking I never want to get back into teaching. I started a year with nearly 80 percent of bottom sets (literally the lowest ones). I struggle a lot with behaviour. My youngest classes are easier to manage despite the fact that all of them are very fidgety. I actually like my younger bottom sets. Unfortunately the older groups are dreadful. I tried applying behaviour policy. Unfortuantely, I was faced with a lot of complaints from parents and my HOD didnt seem to be on my side. My HOD believes in 'relationships' which to me is a joke. I was sworn at multiple times. I am treated like piece of rubbish, by some students. Some gang up against me(year 9s and 10s are evil). My HODs lesson, when I came to observe , looked like a disaster. Children late to lesson, talking and generally chaos. After seeing him in action and other more experienced teacher I am wondering how did he even get a job as HOD. I genuinely dislike him a lot for his terrible 'soft' approach to students who are running riots in our departament. I am wondering is it like this in other schools? I am wondering if he is like that because there is no SLT support behind him and he as a young career minded person tries so hard to somehow survive in this terrible school by becoming the most popular teacher in departament. I am on the verge of a meltdown, because of combination of both terrible behaviour and workload. I feel no support from neither SLT nor the heads of the departament. I dont want to go to school everyday so stressed knowing that my favourite classes have to experience moody teacher who can lose temper for no good reason. I know that in a way I am failing these children. I am meant to be there for them,but the stress is eating me out and I doubt that it has positive impact on them. Is the behaviour so poor in every school and most of all is the lack of trust from senior colleugues so widespread in schools.

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

With the lack of support you describe things are unlikely to improve in your current school. The stress and the toxic environment you describe will make you ill.Your options:
    1. Struggle on as you are
    2. Stick with the behaviour policy, you're only applying the school's own policy so they should(?) be backing you up
    3. Plan to move schools at the end of the academic year after your NQT year
    4. Look for work outside of teaching. If you are a young teacher then employers may take you on on their graduate training schemes.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Well, its hopeless then

yep, quite often

See your GP and speak to your union.

I have used and heard other people use terms like this for years. " This is unsustainable" " I am on the brink" " This is going to tip me over the edge"

We all say these things without really understanding what it means, until it is too late, when you are irreversibly damaged, and you can't be yourself again.

Then you wonder how could I keep saying " This is unsustainable" ( or"I am on verge of a meltdown") without actually specifically asking myself, and picturing what it would be like when I actually broke.

of course you are not, not in any way, The education system is a vicious tyrant. It should be nurturing and developing you to nurture and develop children ( including nurturing and developing their self control)

That isn't happening. You are not letting anyone down. The system is letting you down, AND it is letting the children down.

You are in a situation where it is not possible to teach. No one can teach without back up in the behaviour policy. You don't have it. How is that your fault? No one can complete a set of tasks that takes more hours than there are in the day. That is what is expected of you. HOw is that your fault?

My advice, GP and union. You should not stay where you are, but obviously IF you are well enough to complete the year, that stands you in good stead. But it is not your fault if its impossible, or dangerous for you to do so.

agathamorse, Robak1991 and Shedman like this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Very wise words.

5. Robak1991

Robak1991 New commenter

Thank you very much for nice words.

My HOD believes that school is suppose to be safe place for students(where other students apporach their teacher and tear the report card out of teacher's hand?). I think by safe he meant that they can feel safe to treat staff like sh*t and never face any consequences.

I will try different school and than consider different career path if the other school turn out to be similar.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

It always looks good to finish your nqt year.