1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New teacher to school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emilymayritchie, Jul 1, 2020.

1. emilymayritchie

emilymayritchie New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I'm going to be starting at a new school in September. Although I have been contacted by the school a few times to complete paperwork, I have still yet to hear what year group I'm going to be teaching.
    I don't want to annoy the school by badgering but when should I make contact to ask?
    Has everyone already heard where they will be?

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Congratulations on your new job. It is very likely that senior leaders are still working on plans for September. I expect most schools will not necessarily be grouping children in year groups as they may have previously so be prepared to be flexible about this as you may not finish the year with the same group you start with.

** If your username is your real name you should contact TES and ask to change this so you can't be identified ***

3. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I don't think there is any harm in contacting them. I can't see any reason why you won't all have your class right from the very start. The difference might be whether all children in every class attend from the very start of the new year. I don't know of any schools in my area who are not just assigning classes to teachers.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

If the unions have said that the idea of returning with 'normal' classes is 'pure fantasy', perhaps the heads want to wait and see before wasting time and resources. If you need to start planning, I suppose you could ask where they might be putting you-if you ask politely and show that you realise changes are naturally likely!

5. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I didn't suggest it would be normal. What I said is that the difference might be whether all children in all classes attend from the start. I can't see how it can just be some year groups shared out again. This would mean all year groups but part time in which case it would make sense to assign each class to a class teacher. I am also not saying that this is ideal. Just that I can't see how else it would be. If it was only some year groups which groups would that be? Which children? Only keyworker children? Only PP children? Only years 3-6 as they have not been back yet?
    I'm not pretending to know any more than anyone else. Just suggested there was no harm in asking. As I said, I know of no schools who are not assigning classes to teachers - perhaps it is different in other areas. The OP should be able to ask what there role will be whatever the setup. If the school haven't planned yet as they feel they do not want to make any decisions until they have had the guidance then they can simply say so.

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I would think that planning is going ahead regardless. Whatever happens in September you wouldn't want a last minute panic to plan. Call them. I would.