1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New TA post with SEN and EAL

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ANNABEL39, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    I have started a new TA post this week, I feel extremely lucky to have got the post as I only qualified in January so this is my first real TA job. I volunteered for 14 months previously in a mix of reception and Year 2. My post is a TA in a nursery but the school also asked if I was available for supply over the whole school (up to year 2) so I was more than happy to do this. Just before I started they asked if I would be interested in 4 exta hours a week working with 2 boys from Year1 one child who was behind due to issues at home and another child with EAL.
    I was really excited to be told I could decide what I would like to do with them, choose resources etc all numeracy and literacy based. The child with EAL also has a translator who comes in once a week to help with him. My teacher has told me to work on the satpin letters and 1-10 in numeracy and prepared some resources to get me going.
    Sorry, this post is waffling a bit. I am now feeling a bit nervous about getting the best from them and am going to research some of my own resources. I have never worked with any EAL children before and am wondering if anyone has any good websites for resources or any general advice. I'm sure once I have been there a few weeks I will be stressing less, it's all very overwhelming at the moment...being new etc. This is the kind of thing I have always wanted to do and am so pleased I have been given this responsibility. I just want to make sure I am really helping them both and the time I spend with them hopefully will see an improvement. I don't have a great deal of time with them. Usually a 40 minute slot. Thanks for reading.

Annabel

2. Hi everyone
    I have started a new TA post this week, I feel extremely lucky to have got the post as I only qualified in January so this is my first real TA job. I volunteered for 14 months previously in a mix of reception and Year 2. My post is a TA in a nursery but the school also asked if I was available for supply over the whole school (up to year 2) so I was more than happy to do this. Just before I started they asked if I would be interested in 4 exta hours a week working with 2 boys from Year1 one child who was behind due to issues at home and another child with EAL.
    I was really excited to be told I could decide what I would like to do with them, choose resources etc all numeracy and literacy based. The child with EAL also has a translator who comes in once a week to help with him. My teacher has told me to work on the satpin letters and 1-10 in numeracy and prepared some resources to get me going.
    Sorry, this post is waffling a bit. I am now feeling a bit nervous about getting the best from them and am going to research some of my own resources. I have never worked with any EAL children before and am wondering if anyone has any good websites for resources or any general advice. I'm sure once I have been there a few weeks I will be stressing less, it's all very overwhelming at the moment...being new etc. This is the kind of thing I have always wanted to do and am so pleased I have been given this responsibility. I just want to make sure I am really helping them both and the time I spend with them hopefully will see an improvement. I don't have a great deal of time with them. Usually a 40 minute slot. Thanks for reading.

Annabel

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

The British Council
    http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/
    is a good starting point
    Get a picture dictionary to teach vocab.
    Create lots of matching cards -
    pictures of nouns like fruit/animals/furniture etc and words to match
    pictures of people doing things like sitting, walking reading to teach verbs
    colours and shapes
    Did you learn a language in school? Can you remember the sorts of things you did?
    There is a great book called something like 1000 images for teachers to draw which you can use. It has pictures of loads of things - different prepositions for example.

This link might help with the maths
    http://www.teachingexpertise.com/articles/teaching-maths-eal-children-5080

Does the child use Latin/Roman script? It will make your life easier if he/she does.