1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New TA position in reception, how do best support??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katyhegney, Sep 14, 2018.

1. katyhegney

katyhegney New commenter

Hi everyone!
    I have been offered a TA position in reception starting next week. I know there is a few children with challenging behaviour in there.
    I need some advice on how best I can support the teacher and children. I’ve never worked in reception, and ideas, tips would be extremely useful to me. Thank you in advance

2. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Good luck on your new role. Listen to your teacher as he/she will guide and direct you. Show initiative when you are not being directed. Maintain a really quiet voice. Get down to the children's level when you talk. Read the EYFS curriculum. Notice what is going on. Reception is great fun but really tiring. You could post this in the Early Years forum.

3. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Hi Katy
    Last year I had some tricky customers in my reception class and my TA was a life saver! As squashball says, be guided by the teacher. One of the most helpful things my TA did last year was to support whole class teaching sessions by either encouraging children to stay focussed or removing them when that was not going to happen. In that way my teaching sessions could continue relatively uninterrupted. If she did need to remove a child she continued with the teaching objective one to one or worked on something else that was developmentally appropriate with them.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

not an experienced reception teacher/TA but I would suggest dressing for getting down and dirty! As above, listen to what the teacher needs you to help with and don't go in with too many preconceptions. Take it as it comes and build a working relationship with the other adult(s)

katyhegney likes this.
  5. katyhegney

katyhegney New commenter

Thank you, great advice. Would it be appropriate to ask the teacher to write down specific ways she would like me to support her? maybe regarding particular childs' behaviour? Thanks again :)

6. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

No, never ask the teacher to write things down for you! If you want to take notes as he/she speaks - fine.
    It may be that children with special learning needs require a behaviour or individual learning plan, in which case you might contribute to that and should certainly ask for a copy and follow suggestions on that.

katyhegney likes this.
  7. katyhegney

katyhegney New commenter

Thank you squashball,
    I’m going in to volunteer a few mornings, to get my head around things while paperwork’s still going through. Can’t wait to get started, thanks all :)