1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new supply teacher in search of recommendations for resource books

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tiddlywinks22, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hi there. I am in my second week of primary supply teaching. Coming from an SEN background and having had 6 years out of teaching, i find myself swimming aginst the tide. Does anyone have any recommendations of resource books with photocopyable sheets for years 3-6. I saw some today which were mental maths tests. They were fab, i just wasn't thinking straight enough to have jotted down the name of the book.
    Any help/advice will be most gratefully recieved!!!
    Many thanks
    Zoe

2. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Hi! Over the years I have either collected or bought loads of books and worksheets etc. which are currently sat up in the attic and never see the light of day. I have a bag in my car with a few books in but rarely need it.
    My advise would be to save your cash and print everything you need from the internet! There are millions of websites that have free printable sheets. Spend a couple of hours in the Easter hols browsing through. You can even save it to a memory stick! That is what I intend to do this Easter and then I'm binning the lot! (Most of it is probably out of date anyway!)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh I'm so glad Mrs Pip said that as I deleted my post saying basically 'Save your money' as it seemed rather negative.

4. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Ah, I see what you mean. I get 5 days a week and hardly ever need any of my own resources these days. I meant save your money as 9/10 the work is left... not because of the lack of work.[​IMG]

5. try primary resources website - lots of power points, IWB screens and worksheets (many of which you can alter yourself). I'd just save a selection to memory stick and away you go!

6. I tried to avoid primaryresources - because everyone else used it, so quite often you'd have something suitable and the chorus of "we've already done this" would strike up (always particularly loved this chorus in response to a sheet the class teacher had got from there)... I used a fair few bits from the resource bank on here (but it's horrid to navigate) and similar places - just tended to steer clear of the biggest kid on the block where possible.
    And just be careful of memory sticks - I've had at least one school network where I was unable to open mine at all. I used to have a little netbook that if the worst came to the worst I could hook up to just the projector part of the IWB and use from there for powerpoints and the like.

7. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I'd concur with all the advice given so far, and add that you should make sure that your memory stick is backed up, and also doesn't contain personal data - the First Law of Memory Sticks is that it will at some point either fail or be lost.As a supply most work should be prepared for you, so you should only need a small repertoire of work for the occasional unplanned day. And you can retain copies of any worksheets that you're left that look useful.

8. The two that I used most frequently - were a No Fuss Photocopiables maths book, and I also had a Scholastic creative maths problem solving book (forget the exact title - blue cover but I think there's a KS1 version as well) which had stand-alone problem solving lessons in, with silly cover stories you could ham up a bit (the hamster sky diving one being particularly bonkers) that did go down well with the kids. I liked the Scholastic one a lot in that they lent themselves very well to being stand-alone lessons, the kind of thing you really need on supply... other than that, the books I had are mostly ones from when I've taught classes, which fortunately cover a mish mash of most of the primary age range over the years I've worked full-time.

Literacy-wise - I tended to rely on good quality picture books, or things like Horrid Henrys - could spin a lesson either on character descriptions, dialogue punctuation (HH has loads of speech in for that), writing a new HH story, or writing and designing (and making - with pop up bits for DT if I could find some scraps of card etc) a book for a younger child - looking at the kind of language used, pictures adding to the story, patterned text etc.... rather than just photocopiable sheets as such.

Like most people though I had a box of stuff in my car boot - and very rarely used any of it really!

Other things it's worth having - I had some timestable wordsearches (TROL I think was the site I got them from) that were useful at times, and good seasonal (but educational) stuff for when you end up in before Christmas and they're going loopy! Also had some really intricate colouring in sheets (that were from a book from my own childhood) that were appreciated to utterly bizarre levels at some points by KS2 kids (just when they wanted the odd 5 minutes to switch off and unwind and regress a bit)! Tesco quite often do geometric pattern colouring books for something like 99p that a colleague used to buy and butcher for that sort of end.