1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New students - English starter pack

Discussion in 'English' started by Teacher-in-Training42, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

Hi at the place I'm doing my teacher training we regularly get new students ..like ever two weeks..its a PRU.

I was wondering if anyone had any activity or task ideas that I could do with the new people. I'm planning on making a English starter pack. so far all I have is an acrostic poem that they can create using their name ...to let me know more about them. Any other ideas will be appreciated. the class varies from entry level 3 to level 1

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Wowsers - I'm surprised to hear they send student teachers to PRUs. How old are the students?

Do you have access to any tech at all?

Could you create a tic-tac-toe or other kind of menu of activities for them to do that result in them understanding the culture of your classroom, as well as getting to know them a bit in terms of fears, hopes, strengths and struggles? I think if they have a bit of choice in what they do, perhaps they will engage more and get the impression you care about them as people rather than just another bum on a seat. Some might like the acrostic whereas others might want to share in different ways or through different media (video, audio, art...).

I started doing beginning of year letters for my students - it was a letter I crafted to let them know what they could expect from me (promises sort of thing) and what I'd like them to give me in exchange. I told them their letters would be private between me and each individual, unless they stated otherwise. Each student then wrote back to me about what they thought of my promises and made me promises of their own. I was amazed at how they opened up and the things I learned about them from both in and out of school really helped develop positive relationships and a good work ethic over the rest of the year. And then when new students came in (fairly regularly), I had a way to introduce myself to them and vice versa, as well as get a sample of their writing. (I also let them know in my letter that it's OK to use pictures as well as words so they don't get intimidated by the writing factor.)

Hope this helps.

3. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

Thanks that's really helpful, thanks. The students are 16