1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New State Pension forecast website

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by phatsals, Dec 30, 2015.

1. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

There is a new beta site for State Pensions forecasts. It's a government site and you have to register online to have id checked etc but you can get an up-to-date forecast within about 10 minutes.

This may be helpful for many on here concerned about what their State Pension may be with the changes. I have just tried it, it gave my current entitlement and what it would be at retirement.

www.tax.service.gov.uk/checkmystatepension

Please post back if the site works for you,

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not working for me!

3. Mrs Hiughes

Mrs Hiughes New commenter

yes it worked for me after entering verification details but did not really explain why after 41 years of full year contributions I won't get a full pension in 2021 when I turn 66

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Contracted out. Assuming this "new" site is about the new pension rules form April 2016 onwards.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I should have been clearer. The site works fine but it cannot verify me as I don't have a photo driving licence (just got the paper one) or UK passport. There is a third option of a non UK passport but it cannot verify that! As it cannot verify me, it does me bring up my details.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I assume that you're a teacher? It will be because you have been contracted out of SERPS.

7. phatsals

What it gives you is your current entitlement, your NI record, your forecast and how to increase your pension.

If you have been paying reduced married womens NI then that is not full contribution. It will show those years on your NI record. You will also be able to see if/how to increase your future pension.

8. phatsals

Catmother, I was offered the option of credit cards, debit cards and personal information. I assume all the 4 different verifying organisations ask for the same details, I went for Experian as they know all your financial info. I don't know if that makes any difference.

9. aspen_1

aspen_1 New commenter

Really useful link - worked for me! Thank you phatsals.

10. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Worked for me gave me all my state pension forecast taking into account contracting out, NI contributions and missing ones. The only thing I have suggested is a calculator showing the effect of missing NI contributions on the state pension amount.
    Anyone wanting to use this site - have all your id to hand passport, photo driving licence, debit card for your current account. Once done you can access site easily

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I was not offered any other options. I've tried to register with the other verifying agencies but was rejected for not having a UK passport!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I have just used this site for state pension forecasts. You have to verify your details first using driving licence and passport but results were interesting. If I retire early aged 58 will receive about £167 a week at age 66 but if I pay in another 8 years will receive £150 a week! Both figures allow for time contracted out and contracted in. As I am contemplating early retirement at just over 58 this is encouraging news for me to know roughly what SP to expect at 66. I am fortunate to be able to go at just over 58 owing to our very decent TP scheme. The site also gives you your full NI record which is interesting. I received some credits when after age 16 for part-time employment, sixth form and University. At moment have a total of 38 full years soon to be 39 as well as 3 incomplete years (teen part-time working)

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Thank you for this, it took a while to register but worth the effort!

14. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Oh, I have had trouble logging in to TES but now I have been successful.

I have tried the state pension forecast and managed to get verified. I was pleased to see that I had a complete record from age 21 despite some years out with a family and some part time. I presume the reason that we can increase our pension if we continue to pay in until 66 is because all contributions will, from 2016, be contracted in. Therefore, despite having 38 years of contributions, I could increase my record for full contributions. I have emailed them to ask about the years from age 16-18 as I read they can be credited to see if that makes a difference. I couldn't find any detail about contracted in and contracted out. E.g. Does child benefit credit overrule teachers' contracted out credits?

That said, I have no intention of carrying on until 66 and intend to finish at the end of 2016. Hey, from tomorrow, I can start to say 'this year'.

Happy new year!

frangipani123 likes this.
  15. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Thanks for this info. I've managed to log in and am looking at the forecast which is better than I thought as I had been contracted out at certain times but it doesn't seem to show that. Where can I see the breakdown ie 6th form years etc, which some of you seem to be able to see? Can't see any choice to look at that.

I also worked overseas for a while where they had a reciprocal agreement and have been told in the past that nearer the time I will have to provide evidence that I paid tax there. This forecast doesn't seem to show that at all. Hmm looks like good new but not sure I have confidence in it as it doesn't reflect the contracted out time.

16. phatsals

Contracted out doesn't mean you don't pay any contributions, it means they are reduced. On that basis you will have a full record for that year/period of time but you won't have earned any additional state pension.S2P or SERPS NI covers pension contributions plus all other potential benefits eg sickness, unemployment etc.

Have a look at your NI record and see if the missing years are the ones you worked abroad, if so then contact them and see what evidence is needed to update it. Better now than when retirement is looming, whenever that may be

frangipani123 likes this.
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

I have queried my figures as they are just too high for someone who has been contracted out for 35 of 39 years.

18. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Thanks phatsals, I hadn't really taken that on board, I thought the main pension was reduced if you had been contracted out ie less than the proposed £155 pw.

I can't see my NI record when I'm logged in whereas it appears others can see it. I only have a paper version I requested about 18 months ago. I've sent a query online about this so should receive a reply from the site.

Yes, no longer a user your higher amount does sound strange as you have been contracted out.

19. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Must admit no longer a user I thought £151 was the maximum state pension announced recently. I have 44 years full NI, 32 contracted out and my figure as expected is in between £115 (current retirement pension) and £151 new state pension April 2016. What I cannot figure out is why yours decreases from £167 to £150 when you pay in more years - does not make sense.

20. tudor02

tudor02 New commenter

Just tried the link. Took 10 - 15 mins to register etc and then the site did not work on the first go but I logged back on again and it worked perfectly. It suggested I will get the full amount when I retire but the site did have disclaimers. Seemed fine to me but who knows what the government will decide in the next few years.