1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Staff Induction Day

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by redpentick, May 24, 2017.

1. redpentick

redpentick New commenter

Hi All
    Ive been asked to organsie the new staff induction day this year. The new staff come in for day in July - some are HODs, some are NQTs and everything inbetween!!! Apart from the obvious (timetable, classlists, computer logins, time in departments etc...) what else should I definitely include. Last year it was quite boring (information overload) and so Im keen to make it more engaging this year .... thinking about doing a orienteering style quiz - has anyone every tried this and able to give me feedback. Any ideas???

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Get school SENCo to provide you with copies of the current SEN register with needs (e.g. autism, hearing impairment, dyslexia), highlighting particularly vulnerable students with Statements or Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs).

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Include tedious but essential things like staff toilets, changing facilities, coffee system, parking, .....
    Essential you include child protection/safeguarding, whether they've heard it all before or not.

4. redpentick

redpentick New commenter

Great - thanks. Plenty to get through!!

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

...and make sure they sign to say they've received safeguarding induction. Ask your DSL what they want done. Some of it is dull but necessary. I like the orienteering idea, though. Good luck.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

One more thought - make sure that they get to know the support staff of all sorts - the IT tech, the caretaker, the receptionist, and others....

7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Map of the school, quirks of the staffroom , do you have a coffee/ tea/ present fund? ; can you sign out? Who are the union reps? Any traditions or expectations? If you can make up a pack rather than drone on that's better! Good luck!

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

in my current school there was no known method of finding out who the heads of year were. Even current staff didn't know.

deputy heads? Who are they, where are their offices? First aiders? procedure for student accident/illness? staff forms, leave of absence, inset requests. times the buildings are open? What day is pay day?

you need a simple summary of all such information

you do not need a 500 page staff handbook with so much woffle in it you can't FIND the information you need

maybe a power point with all the vital stuff on it, and a shared access folder where it is saved.

9. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

Too late to help now I know but I would keep it simple- ask them what they want to know and try to supply answers!

10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Run through in your head what they will do during the course of as normal teaching day
    1. Where do they park, do they need a permit?
    2. Can they get into the school?
    3. ID badge
    4. Early morning briefings they need to attend?
    5. Have they got a school map/ list of staff?
    6. Have they got the key to their room?
    7. Do they know how to use the whiteboards if it's electronic?
    8. How do they register?
    9. Coffee/ lunch facilities
    10. discipline regime
    11. ....... and so on.

It will be these little details that will catch new staff out but get these things right to facilitate a smooth start to the term.

11. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

I've really enjoyed our new staff induction. As well as online courses, we have had; team building exercises, such as, making the tallest tower with junk, safeguarding, staff handbook, first aid, child protection, acting in response to fire (never actually used a fire extinguisher before!), lock down and earthquake. We've had a very famous author come in to give training too. Above all, we have been made to feel welcome and have had a staff BBQ to meet all returning staff too. I look forward to the Autumn term.