1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Sports Initiative

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by john_connaughton, Oct 24, 2017.

1. john_connaughton

john_connaughton New commenter

There is an opportunity for secondary school PE teachers to become involved in the development of rugby league outside the sports heartlands with the aim of giving students a wider range of activities to choose from to stay involved in sport and to develop the sport in the UK.

This has been tried and tested in Oxford over the past 5 years with a link between a local community club as well as local rugby union clubs. The local community club has started to develop its own youth section for those students wanting to continue with the sport outside of the schools programme and the local rugby union clubs have increased their numbers and also found their players have gone back fitter, stronger and more skillful as a result of the introduction of a schools rugby league programme.

I have personally taken charge of the inclusion of the sport at the school I work at and this has not clashed or got in the way of the more traditional sports such as cricket, tennis and athletics. It has had many benefits such as giving those students who enjoy contact sport the chance to stay involved in some way all year round, those who have yet to find a sport they like the chance to become involved in something new and exciting (especially touch) as well as improving the health and fitness of those who become involved. Finally it doesn't take up any more teacher time than that we already give up as part of our job (unless you become involved in the Community Club as I have).

If this is something of interest then please feel free to drop me a message. I am looking for teachers who want to make a difference through sport, teachers who are passionate and want to be proactive, teachers who want to be the start of a new initiative that doesn't use a lack of money as a barrier for its development. Prior knowledge of the sport is not needed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

John Connaughton
    john_connaughton@hotmail.com