1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Specification Controlled Assessments

Discussion in 'English' started by sylvanette, Mar 4, 2011.

1. sylvanette

sylvanette New commenter

I actually stopped to look on the forums at lunchtime for exactly this reason: particularly my bottom set simply have not been able to handle the concept. Just marked (AQA Unit 3a) their Mice and Men assessments, which were abysmal. I'm wanting to re-do a slightly different task with them and piecemeal it out to them, ie. today we're writing a paragraph about X, discuss for 20 min, write for 20 min, but I'm afraid that is "against the rules". Feel ready to throw the rulebook out the window.

2. It's a relief to know that it's not only us! We've started the OMAM assessment this week and have had students telling us that they can't do it and don't understand. I feel that we're putting some of our needier students at a major disadvantage, although get frustrated by the fact that even our higher ability students lack the oomph to work independently in the way that the spec requires! As far as the rules go, they're actually incredibly restritive - I'm dreading the resulst

3. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I did 'Macbeth' for English with a set which is really entry level. The generic task is 'central character' and we looked at Lady M in V.i in detail and explored how she got there.
    Some of them did better than set 1.

4. gruoch - I am not surprised at your success - you were able to choose a play and a character about which you know every little detail and you would be able to convey this intimate knowledge to your students. Also, I suspect your method of teaching also puts you (or rather your students) at an advantage - they are part way at least to becoming independent thinkers with confidence in their own ideas and opinions. Another point is that with a group no one expects much from you (and they) are free from the pressure associated with having to meet or exceed expectations. Finally, how many children are there in your class - I am guessing it might be smaller than average - another advantage!
    Glad to hear it's going so well.