1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New spec GCSE Maths - does working out NEED to be shown?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by onthecoast, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Whilst we all know that in an ideal world students would always show their working, does anyone know - for the new spec GCSE Maths, if the correct answer is given but working out is NOT shown can the student still get full marks? My understanding is that the M1 mark would be implied and awarded even though working has not been shown. What are other people's understanding? We have mixed thoughts on this within my department; some feel the M marks can be implied, others feel the M marks can only be awarded if the working is seen.

2. I hate people who generalise [​IMG] but .....
    If the questions says show all working, then show all working
    If the question requests no working, correct answer gives full marks.
    Part marks [M's and B's] are awarded when incorrect final answer given. M can then be implied if the mark scheme allows.
    Are there NO examiners in your department?
    TTFN [​IMG]

3. I can give you an OCR response to this one but can't speak for the other boards.
    In the majority of questions on GCSE maths papers, full marks would be given for the correct answer without any working. The method marks are taken as implied.
    There are a few situations where we don't give full marks without any working.
    "Solve algebraically these simulataneous equations" demands a particular method is seen. If it isn't (answers with either no working or 'trial and improvement') then in this case both method marks are lost and only the two answer marks are scored (ie 2/4). You might see a similar demand on other topics, or the sentence "you must show your working" - in these cases there would be some kind of penalty for no working seen - so as Valed says, show the working here too!
    The other main type of question where this matters are the new QWC questions, shown with the asterisk. We mark these in bands. The quality of the mathematics done determines which band a response goes in (top, middle or bottom). The quality and clarity of the communication, (including arithmetic errors, algebraic notation, diagrams etc) determines whether the response goes at the top or bottom of the band. So a completely correct answer with poor or no working would be at the bottom of the top band - generally a one mark loss.
    And of course, unless the student is always going to get everything correct showing working is the 'insurance policy' - a chance to grab some M and B marks when something goes a little bit wrong!
    Hope this helps.
    Kevin

4. Thank you for the detailed response Kevin, and yours too Valed.
    The QWC info is very useful and I will share that with the department.
    As for the method marks being taken as implied in some questions (as per the mark scheme) by a correct answer and full marks being awarded I will also take that back to the dept as I have been clearly told by a colleague that that no longer applies. Glad to hear it still stands.

5. You can get nothing for getting the answer right on 4 mark questions you can get the vast majority of getting it wrong. IMO its easier for the kids/teacher to promote/learn it than remember rules.
    I always mark as low as possible in the run up to exams and use all the 'usual strategies' before an exam. After listening to an exam board rep give a talk recently I got the impression they didnt have a clue what the deal was.
    I have no sympathy for kids who don't put workings down if driled.
    It didnt help having the SATs style papers in the past where all that mattered in the main was the answer. IIRC there are A level papers you can get every answer right on and fail the exam.