1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Spec English Descriptive Writing Q

Discussion in 'English' started by alipops1986, Apr 21, 2012.

1. alipops1986

alipops1986 New commenter

Hello All,
    I have an interview next week, with yr10 class grade C - E. My lesson is focussed on writing descriptively to engage the reader.
    I have found the following exam question from a recent entry:
    place can appear to be very different if
    you visit it at different times of year.
    describe
    it at
    two different times of year for a travel website.
    Remember
    to: </u>
    about a place
    to describe

Apologies for the huge text!
    What i'd like to know is suggestions of a place to choose? I'm thinking about the times of year as being Summer/Winter but really stuck on a place to choose that students would be familiar with.
    Many thanks,
    Alipops x

2. Their street/area/town?
    Good luck

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

If it's for a travel website, it should be somewhere other people might visit, but it could be a local hotel, park, beach or whatever, rather than a town. Some children might be able to write about a holiday resort or city if they'd lived there, but others may live in a place that is unlikely to feature on a travel website. I would start with some images of a place that you know (or pretend to know) such as a beach or city and then get them to come up with ideas for places they know. If you have summer and winter images for some places on display, they could use those.

4. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Their own school environment on a snowy winter's day and in the summer time when all coats and outer wear are banished to the cloakroom and the sun beats down. They should have lots of ideas for this.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Sunflower48: For a travel website? I wouldn't risk using the school environment for an interview lesson when the brief is so specific.

6. alipops1986

alipops1986 New commenter

Thanks for your help Gloria.
    I've chosen a beach in summer time and are using visual images. The brief was actually based on the writing part on unit 1, and 'engaging the reader' so i've chosen the descriptive writing to engage the reader.
    My next question is that i've got a starter, recap of lang to describe, planning for specfic questions and mark scheme to refer to. How is best to get them to start writing? Sentence starters? or just give them an example of a few sentences and let them choose an aspect to begin with? [eg, see, hear etc]
    I'm panicking a little bit as I won't have time to go through punctuation, connectives AND vocabulary in the lesson as well.
    Thanks again!