1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New spec 21st Century P1,P2,P3 specimen

Discussion in 'Science' started by sharonhbean, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi has anyone got students sitting the new spec 21st century P1,P2,P3 in January?

Was just wondering what you thought of the specimen paper (have just used it for a mock) and what grade boundaries did you use as the exam board hasn't given any guidance on this?
    Thanks

2. Hi has anyone got students sitting the new spec 21st century P1,P2,P3 in January?

Was just wondering what you thought of the specimen paper (have just used it for a mock) and what grade boundaries did you use as the exam board hasn't given any guidance on this?
    Thanks

3. wire247

wire247 New commenter

There have never been and never will be any grade boundaries for specimen papers, you'll have to grade them yourself. They only set the boundaries, after all the results have been collated.
    With all the scandal that surrounds exam boards at the moment, this could be considered the most flagrent act of cheating in the history of education, and has certainly led to the decline in standards.
    I can remember when I first entered education being astounded that this went on.

4. You will have to 'invent' grade boundaries. We have a system of 'aim high' and will probably set the boundaries to try to encourage the pupils to work harder / learn more / revise more thoroughly.

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Work out the proportion of students achieving each grade last year, subtract 5% from the top grade and add it to the bottomw grade i.e. last year on the paper 20% got each grade from A*-D. Following the adjustment make it that 15% get an A*, 20% for grades A, B, and C and then 25% a D (and likewise for the foundation paper). This allows for a cohort being slightly less able than the year before as well as giving room for improvement. It doe mean that grades can not be issued until all the papers have been marked though!

6. As regards the content of the paper, my class (yr 10 - predicted some As mostly Bs) found it pretty difficult - the highest was in the low 60%s and mostly they got 45-55%. Compared to recent years papers it is hard. Some questions poorly written, some good questions as well. Poorly written mark scheme where the longer answers were too vague and others too specific/picky. On the whole, inconsistent. Looks like it has been cobbled together in a rush.