1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New SOL

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Slinkywhippet, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Slinkywhippet

Slinkywhippet New commenter

Just a quick post to ask if anyone had experience with the White Rose Mastery curriculum for years 7 and 8.

We are a very successful maths department with consistently excellent results over a sustained 10 year period. We have continued to use the SMP Interact books and have developed activities to build on these and for new topics. We traditionally teach different sets different work and have a spiralling curriculum.

However, our HOD is moving on in September, and new curriculum leader is introducing the White Rose SOL for KS3 and all sets will be taught the same.

We do not have teaching materials provided other than the overviews, topic assessments and IWB templates.

My worries are:

Pace - we have 3 weeks (9 lessons) to cover place value, then a further week for completing the assessment / dirt time. How do people stretch this topic out, (The assessment in particular is easy - Many students would score full marks at the start of the topic in my opinion), Especially with no materials provided? Even the problem solving examples look extremely easy.

The next topics are Addition / Subtraction followed by Multiplication / division. Do people find that their yr 7s get bored with so much number all in one go?

Any thoughts / experiences / ideas for where we can go for resourses would be most welcome!

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

3. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

I was at a school in a similar position which did this last year and it was a disaster, however they didn't use White Rose. It demoralised the department as the resources everyone had spent years writing didn't fit the new topics neatly, so all the homeworks/revision worksheets/assessments were thrown out causing massive workload increases.

The same topics you mention were covered in the first term and it led to the top sets being utterly bored. Plan for it to fail now and start gathering together things like problem solving tasks and maths challenge questions on thise topics to extend your brightest students.

I did use White Rose for Y7 in a different school this year and it actually seemed quite good, but it was in a deprived area so they didn't really have enough "top set" students who already knew everything. The problem in that school is they didn't actually follow the White Rose SoL properly.

4. Slinkywhippet

No we haven't got these. Just a basic overview. Ours starts with place value rather than algebra though. This looks very helpful - Thankyou. Where can I find more of these for the other topics? Thankyou!

5. Slinkywhippet

Thanks for your advice.

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I just googled white rose y7. It says the entire thing is free https://whiterosemaths.com/resources/schemes-of-learning/secondary-sols/

7. mostlymaths

mostlymaths New commenter

We have used the White Rose Yr7 SOW for the first time this year and it has been very interesting. We have kept a top set and the majority of the rest are mixed ability groups with a small support group. We had similar doubts about pace but we actually had the opposite problem and took too long over some topics. We planned collaboratively to help workload and used the exemplar questions and the small steps documents as our point of reference. This issue has been finding/making differentiated worksheets etc but Variation Theory website has been useful.
    The key to the approach is to ensure that the students are discussing their maths - we have a lot of think/pair/share built in to the lessons. The SOW also has opportunities for interleaving. If you follow it properly and buy in to the change of teaching it will be beneficial. There is a real emphasis on correct terminology and processes and it's great when a Year 7 student tells you it does not matter if you calculate length x width or width x length when finding the area of rectangle because multiplication is commutative.
    I personally have quite liked it but there have been members in our team who have not but not everyone likes change!

8. Slinkywhippet

Thanks - We are starting to get our heads around things now! Will check out Variation Theory website tomorrow!