1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Sixth Form - Choosing the Exam Board

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ryan2447, Aug 21, 2011.

1. I'm currently in the process of setting up A-Level Maths in a newly built sixth form college.
    Does anyone have any pro's/con's for the various A Level specs. I'm currently leaning to Edexcel as it's what I've taught before, but I like MEI however anecdotally hear it's hard at A2

2. I'm currently in the process of setting up A-Level Maths in a newly built sixth form college.
    Does anyone have any pro's/con's for the various A Level specs. I'm currently leaning to Edexcel as it's what I've taught before, but I like MEI however anecdotally hear it's hard at A2

3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

WJEC has limited numbers of modules but tends to have very "standard" questions, if you have weaker but hard working students this can be very useful.
    MEI have a reputation for asking slightly off the wall questions and being very wordy, maybe a disadvantage if you have a lot of EAL students.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Without going into the quality or difficulty of each board's offering, Edexcel is very straightforward to organise. Every exam paper has it's own, relatively cheap text book (which is very portable) and there's reasonable latitude in how you can mix and match the modules. There are 18 of them altogether. As well as core you've got statistics, mechanics, decision maths and further maths, which gives a fair variety to choose from.

5. Thanks for the replies :)
    I've got a year to consider and get it sorted, just want to be as informed as possible