1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New senco - possibly daft question!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sunshine114, Jul 13, 2012.

1. I'm new to the role of senco, and I have concerns that a child in school is dyslexic. How do you go about getting this confirmed? Is there a test that schools can do (mainstream primary), or do you have to have an outside professional such as speech and language / e.p? Many thanks.

2. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, at the moment the child is already recieving a lot of support, so in that way a diagnosis wouldn't change anything too much - just means I could tick a box on a piece of paperwork!!

3. Having dyslexic children I would say that a diagnosis makes a difference. The child knows what is wrong with them so they don't feel so "thick" and they can gain more confidence. There are also many facets to dyslexia and it is useful to know what the child's specific difficulties are. It is not just about reading and writing.
    Good luck.

4. I would agree that a diagnosis will help the child. I do not have dyslexia but I do have dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome and being informed of my diagnoses helped me realise that there were other people experiencing the same things and that I wasn't alone.