1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New SEF

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by John701, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any ideas/templates for SEF post-Ofsted abolition. I hear that ASCL have one in circulation?
    john_701@hotmail.co.uk

2. Yeah, there are a few doing the rounds. All really silly. Don't bother is my advice.
    If you really must, then write a few bullets on each of Achievement, Teaching, Behaviour/Safety, Leadership. Don't duplicate anything in Raise, and don't go on about how horribly deprived the school is, and don't spend more than an hour on the thing.

3. Outstanding advice. So when Ofsted want to get a handle on just how effective your self evaluation is, you can hand over a few scraps of paper and wait for their verdict, whilst you are clearing your desk.
    Advice, tread cautiously. Why not keep on with the present SEF until you find a replacement which is tried and tested or well reccomended.

4. The advice that I've been given is to focus more on maintaining an up to date improvement plan based on the priorities that we've been served. Our self evaluation is predominately led by these areas anyway.

Thankfully I also have a system that draws on the schools improvement plan to inform our whole school self evaluation so i could quite easily draw out a flexible inspection report closer to the date.

5. Yes, absolutely. Put all your efforts into day to day self evaluation including working on how middle leaders self evaluate. Under the 2012 framework, the quality of self evaluation is clearly part of the L&M judgement. This does not mean the quality of the self evaluation <u>form </u>but of how sharply the school analyses strengths and weaknesses and builds on them.

6. Not templates, but I recently did a series of 3 posts about self evaluation of teaching and learning.
    They're particularly focused on asking the right questions to get the evidence for your evaluations. Hope they're helpful.

http://www.fromgoodtooutstanding.com/2011/05/11/towards-better-self-evaluation-post-1-of-teaching-and-learning

7. Dropping the SEF is a completely incomprehensible act from government.
    I am afraid that its removal defies logic. I heard our current education minister say at the ASCL conference that "Headteachers complained about the SEF - so I got rid of it".
    I am afraid that all this proves is that we have a clown instead of an education minister.
    If any school rejoices about this then all this will prove is that their leaders haven't got a clue.

This is an appalling situation. I am still staggered that it can happen.
    The advice that I am giving to the schools that I work with is to use this as an opportunity to slim down the SEF to the things that school leaders think are important.
    But in doing this we can't avoid focussing on the new 2012 Ofsted criteria.

Wise school leaders will grasp this opportunity and make sure that they embark on a rigorous analysis of their school, ready to present to inspectors.
    There isn't an alternative unless a school has decided it wants to be second rate.

8. I couldn't agree more. The best thing that happened in the section 5 inspections was that schools were more involved in the process. The SEF ensured the inspection process took account of the school's view of itself. This shift in emphasis in effect made the inspection of schools a moderation exercise to be done with the school rather than imposed on it. The 2009 framework capitalised on this and strengthened the use of senior teams in schools being involved closely in the process.
    Unfortunately what happened is many schools spent far too long producing a very long SEF that wasn't a self evaluation at all, but an in-depth analysis. I spent a lot of time helping schools write their SEFs, and they were always surprised how quickly we got it done. The government then heard all the complaints about the SEF and promptly got rid of it.
    I agree it's a retrograde step but it's not catastrophic. There are worse things going on in education at the moment. It's likely that more time will be spent discussing self evaluation across the 4 stands of the new framework during the initial telephone conversation. This will mean pre-inspection briefings will still contain hypotheses based on how self evaluation explains data, particularly that in Raise.

9. So....has anyone got a template?!

10. We were part of the pilot of the pilot for the new inspection. The first thing I was asked was to hand over a copy of what I use for self evaluation. They have not removed self evaluation they have removed the government paying for the website and all the IT to support the SEF.

11. Aaah, this explains a lot. The phrase 'summary of self evaluation' seems to have been coined in the framework, which is the SEF I guess

12. Ciamabue makes a very fair point there is also a parallel thread where i'm trying to encourage people to collect together templates but it does seem to rather unfruitful. Predominately the consensus seems to be that LEA's and consultants are producing a lot of "guidance" but no hard copy templates.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/515509.aspx

If anyone does find any please do share, I, as most do have a stop-gap solution in place and am concentrating heavily on keeping my SDP up to date - something that I believe will be scrutinised closely as well - but would appreciate seeing something that some one else has put together.

13. Your second paragraph sound back to front to me. Surely, the improvement plan is based on self evaluation. You identify what is not working very well and then devise a plan to address the issue(s). You may then monitor the implementation of the plan and evaluate its impact as part of your next cycle of self-evaluation.

14. Precisely, my evaluations within the progress of my SIP is automatically duplicated and referenced within the relevant sections of my new report. Instead of thinking of it in a linear form, think of it as you described; a cycle. When we are preparing to write a new SIP, of course, we shall directly focus on our self evaluation but can already see all the work from the SIP in our report. It makes SLT planning meetings far more efficient collectively assessing our new priorities based the year prior's progress.
    I always get a few jeers for this but its a product that I happy to recommend to others.
    Message me and I'll send you a link.