1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New SEF & Ofsted - HELP!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by headforheights, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi to all those struggling with the SEF.
    If you Google Ofsted schedule you will see "NEW VERSION Self-evaluation Template Using Ofsted Schedule September 2009". It leads directly to a TES resource where the template can be downloaded for free.
    For each section of the SEF, I would suggest using it to copy and paste the relevant grade descriptors into the left had column of a two column table in Word. Then add your evidence sources in the right hand column. Once you have agreed the appropriate descriptors, the correct grade judgement is obvious. It is simple then to copy and paste the table into the SEF and tick the grade.
    This way, you are using the same descriptors that Ofsted will use when they come to inspect. It also helps to keep the SEF "brief" - which is requested.
    I've helped a few schools to do this during the Autumn and they have found it a useful approach.
    Gordon.

2. How much did it cost?

3. I gave this support as part of a wider package, but the template is free and using it makes completing the SEF very simple. Ideally the leadership and governors, at least, should be involved in discussions about which grade descriptors are correct at the moment, but the HT can complete it initially and re-visit sections with others over time.
    This is an example of part of the Word document you could set out. Only the descriptors and evidence sources need to go into the SEF, because the grade judgement is put in separately.
    A4.3 THE EFFECTIVENES OF THE GOVERNING BODY IN CHALLENGING AND SUPPORTING THE SCHOOL SO THAT WEAKNESSES ARE TACKLED DECISIVELY AND STATUTORY RESPONSIBILITIES ARE MET
    <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="MsoTableGrid" style="width:359.8pt;border-collapse:collapse;border:medium none;"><tr><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:black 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:224.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">GRADE DESCRIPTORS
    </td><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:135.2pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;"><font face="Calibri">EVIDENCE</font></td></tr></table><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="MsoTableGrid" style="width:359.8pt;border-collapse:collapse;border:medium none;"><tr><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:black 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:224.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Their relationships with staff are constructive and they show determination in challenging and supporting the school in tackling weaknesses and so bringing about necessary improvements. (G)
    </td><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:135.2pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Staff questionnaire
    </td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:black 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:224.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Governors have clear systems for seeking the views of parents and pupils and mechanisms for acting on these. (G)</td><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:135.2pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Parent survey
    </td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:black 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:224.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Governors discharge their statutory responsibilities and ensure that pupils and staff are safe. (S)</td><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:135.2pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Governing body minutes
    Single Central Register
    </td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:black 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:224.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">They are well organised, are visible in the school community, and support staff and pupils. (S)</td><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:135.2pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Governor visits file
    </td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:black 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:224.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Most governors know the strengths and weaknesses of the school and understand the challenges it faces and are directly involved in setting appropriate priorities for improvement. (S)</td><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:135.2pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Governing body minutes
    <font face="Calibri" size="3"> </font></td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:black 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:224.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">The governing body holds the school to account for tackling important weaknesses. (S)</td><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:135.2pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Governing body minutes
    <font face="Calibri" size="3"> </font></td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:black 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:224.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Grade Judgement</td><td style="border-bottom:black 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:135.2pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:black 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">3
    </td></tr></table>Sorry if this is all a bit long and is not quite what the forum is designed for, but I found it difficult to describe without putting in the example. Hope it helps.

4. It must be said that tables fit into the SEF better than this!

5. dvn

dvn

my school had the inspection with the new framework in Sept. There was an increased focus on safeguarding and the quality of learning. There was little mention of the SEF or the quality of our SEF either. If you fancy any more information - let me know
    Daniel

6. The only thing Ofsted are really concerned about with the SEF is the accuracy of the school's self-evaluation. If the inspectors had found things to be very different to you own judgements in the SEF, they would have talked about it more!

7. I would be very grateful of a copy of a primary SEF if tou managed to get one. Thank you.

8. Compared to what it does it didn't cost that much about &pound;1500 for us, but im a massive advocate for it, I couldnt imagine doing my reporting without it now. It links the SEF with your CPD, SDP and performance managment, really impressive stuff.

I spoke to a guy called Rob who really sold it to me, i'd advise you contact them if you want to know more, i think his email was something like;
    rob@bluewaveswift.com

Hope that helps.

9. Just starting to look at SEF and struggling. Would really appreciate a look at an oustanding one. Thank you in anticipation. bey@jnb33.wanadoo.co.uk

10. If you could email a copy to head@amberley.w-sussex.sch.uk - I would find it very useful to see a copy of new sef to get a head start and check I am on right lines.

11. Hi
    Just found this thread and as sad as I am on New Years Day I am trying to get my head around this new SEF. I would be so happy if you could forward a copy of this SEF (to make my new year less stressful).

mcguffie21@fsmail.net
    Thanks

12. Really sorry to be a pain, but I would really appreciate a copy of your SEF as I too am working on mine this holiday - and getting bit bogged down.

Very grateful thanks.

Nicola
    nib2899@live.co.uk

13. Hi
    Just noticed this thead looking for inspiration! Having nightmares about completing my SEF so would appreciate a look at yours.
    Thanks

sue@sav22.free-online.co.uk

14. Hi,
    Is it still possible to have a look at your SEF? Are you a primary school or secondary school? I'm particularly interested in the section on Early Years and Effective Provision.

If you could email me on mandyrandman@sky.com it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Mandy

15. We recently started using a new system for planning and administering the new SEF, its a web based system for monitoring progress and thankfully also does development plans and CPD. Its really thorough and saed me so much stress when we got inspected.
    www.bluewaveswift.co.uk
    Hopefully that can help you as well. It makes the SEF more digestable and easier to complete.

16. I'm also due an inspection this year and struggling with the new SEF. I would really appreciate a look at yours if you would be kind enough to mail it to:

mikedowling@muntham.org.uk

17. Hope you don't mind me posting on here as I currently work for Bluewave.
    It's frustrating to find so many people looking for guidance as it doesn't reflect too well on the support mechanism in education. However, if you take a look at www.bluewaveswift.co.uk and request a demonstration I think you will find at least some of the support you're looking for. I guarantee there will be no high pressure tactics applied as it is not within our culture to do so.
    Systems will never replace people but they can sure take away some of the pain of administration.
    I'll go further and offer anyone who has already posted on this thread before today, some favourable terms should you purchase the system before April of this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.