1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Search Results - Linear Format

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by Krazikas, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

@TES Resource Team - Regarding the search results currently showing in linear format - I strongly feel that displaying search results in this way will have a detrimental effect on sales. The number of resources that can be 'seen' is very limited. Potential purchasers have to scroll down a very long way to get to the next page. I feel that the resources that do not appear in the first four or 5 places will never get 'seen' and many resources will be buried in the bottomless pit. The format does not allow easy comparison of price for resources. There is no 'place' for new or updated resources in the search results which helped to get both new and older resources 'seen.' There is no place for other resources by authors. I do hope that we revert back to how it was before!

MosaiK and labellaroma like this.
  2. charliep86

charliep86 New commenter Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Hi @Krazikas - thank you for the feedback!

Our ecommerce team are currently running experiments with different designs of resource cards in search - there are several variations. We are measuring the impact of these changes to see whether they increase conversion, and are looking at all key metrics to inform our decision-making here.

These experiments have been informed by customer research - talking with teachers and watching them go through the process of finding a resource. We've found that many people find that the cards in the search results page (i.e. the list of resources displayed) aren't sufficiently clear, as there's too much information in a very small space. We've also seen that the images aren't big enough (the cover images are too small and don't always give a clear sense of what the resource contains), and that people don't pay attention to the description in the cards because there's not enough text, and it's obscured by all the other elements in the cards. Some people have also commented that the resource descriptions don't always tell the customer what the resource contains, and so aren't very useful. We found that quite a few people would find having more detailed information available helpful - such as knowing what types of materials the resource contained, or what types of files they were. We'll be finding ways to solve these - and other - issues.

We'll be testing numerous variations of the resource cards, and how the search results pages are displayed overall. I'm planning to test a variant that has more space for descriptions in the card, combined a variant that gives a more visual overview (enabling the customer to switch between whichever variation suits their needs best). Ultimately, we're trying to design to suit as many different people as possible, which is a challenge: each teacher looking for resources on Tes has a different view of what they need, so we're trying to find the best route to display this information to suit as many use cases as possible.

Rest assured though, we are carefully measuring the impact of any changes we test, and won't be implementing anything that has a negative impact.

Thanks again for your feedback :)

Charlie

3. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

I totally agree with @Krazikas. Please can the search results revert back to how they were before. I can never understand why you change something that is working fine. Why not spend time on fixing things that don't work e.g. statistics for Bundles. They haven't been working correctly since April 2017.

MosaiK, Krazikas and mrajlong like this.
  4. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

No sales for 2 days. What's the conversion rate on that? Please, stop tinkering. My overseas sales have all but disappeared again. Is this the result of another "experiment"?

5. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter