1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Scottish standardised assessment vs. INCAS and co.

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by u15km12, May 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. u15km12

u15km12 New commenter

Could anyone enlighten me as to how the new planned standardised assessment system in Scotland would be different from INCAS and PIPS? I am a probationer and struggling to find an answer to this question. Staff at my school seem to be equally unsure about this.
    Thank you!

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

I'm not aware of any announcements on this yet. I just hope it's not going to be as bad as the English SATs system.

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

It is a fallacy that England has SATs. That is a system of assessment mainly used in the USA (for university entrance).

We do have national curriculum tests and "NCTs" is the correct and sensible abbreviation for them.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

What's INCAS and PIPS?
    Nobody knows exactly what the tests will be like. It's not the SQA producing them and they haven't been released yet.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Ah! I have googled and now know. The tests you mention seem to be more general tests of intelligence and potential. The standardised tests will be a snapshot of puplls' skills and performance. Do you or your colleagues remember the old 5-14 tests of levels A-F?

6. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Try Googling SATs and you'll come up with lots of references to this way of referring to the tests. Back in the 90s/early 2000s, when I was involved in implementing them in Years 2 and 6, they were commonly called SATs because it stood for Standard Assessment Tasks and Standard Assessment Tests. The acronym has stuck for many people.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/standards-and-testing-agency
    Information leaflet and videos about the 2017 national curriculum tests (often referred to as SATs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Curriculum_assessment:
    National Curriculum assessment usually refers to the statutory assessments carried out in primary schools in England, colloquially known as SATs.

7. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

We still have a few of these in the back of a cupboard. It'll be interesting to see how the new assessments compare.

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

There were Standard Assessment Tasks in our schools (but not "standard assessment tests" - nonsense phrase) for a couple of years but that scheme of providing banks of class work material was scrapped in 1992.

When national curriculum tests came in years later, in came the myth that they were something they weren't.

NCTs are not SATs. Just because people are stuck repeating nonsense doesn't make it true.