1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Science curriculum and assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shell43, Jul 5, 2015.

1. shell43

shell43 New commenter

I'm new to the role of Science leader (in fact new to any type of leader) and I'm still getting my head around the idea of what I can alter, or decide what should be done or how I would like things to be done.

In my previous life I was a microbiologist and I am keen that children experience Science and ask questions, observe, in fact all the things that the new curriculum says. To that end I have just spent some of my budget on planters and flowering plants (we are very lucky in that we have a variety of well established trees), in order for the children to actually observe and record changes that happen, I would like this to be done in a more obvious way than has happened this year.

I suppose what I'm asking is, how many Science leaders suggest how things should look in books etc. I want to get away from worksheets as much as possible and would like to see more photographs of changes, and comparing a leaf in summer and autumn by actually sticking one in.

Key Stage 2 would be approached in a similar manner.

Also how do others assess, I would like to use concept maps and cartoons and questions to investigate. Has anyone any other ideas?

Any help would be appreciated as I have not had any responsibility before.

2. I agree with your strong emphasis on the scientific method and hands-on science ('Working Scientifically') rather than worksheets full of cloze procedures. Assessing scientific ability can be tricky because a child can be a great scientist but not have the best recording skills (certain KS2 boys I have taught come to mind!) If you have iPads or digital cameras, you can use these to capture excellent conversations between children about fair testing, accuracy, planning, conclusions etc. You sound like a great Science teacher. Good luck!

3. shell43

shell43 New commenter

Thank you, I think I just need the courage of my convictions. Have my performance management review this week and this was one of the targets - to review the current curriculum and resources. Will see what happens.