1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school year resolutions - what's yours?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mands02, Aug 29, 2011.

1. My new term resolution is to stop moaning and going on about success criteria. My school has an obsession with them.
    Last moan then - what a stupid title for something that teachers automatically do anyway. Kids don't give a flying one about them, they just waste precious time thinking about them, putting them into planning, writing them out for the working wall, separating the generic ones from the lesson- pertinent ones---aaargh! Stop jargonising everything!!
    OK, I'm done. Never going to mention them again.[​IMG]

2. Mine is to mark everything each day after school before I go home so it is always up to date and I dont end up with a late night thursday trying to catch up!

3. Mine is to pass my NQT year successfully!

4. Exactly what I was going to say. Wonder how long I'll last. [​IMG]

5. I can normally last about 4 weeks!

6. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

And me! Also to spend the first 15 mins of lunch marking rather than spending the whole hour sitting and gossiping!

7. top idea!!!

8. Every year mine is to keep my desk tidy. I cannot do it! I am so disorganised and it becomes my dumping ground for work done on paper, resources that I've copied and all manner of other rubbish. This year I am going to be more realistic... 2011's new school resolution is... Get on with things. Don't get chatting after school. Don't take marking into other's rooms- it doesn't really get done! Don't wander around my classroom looking at things- just get on with whatever it is I've been putting off! Hubby has a new job where he's home by 430. I'd love to be home before 6!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've made the marking one every single year for 15 years...not going to bother this year because it won't work so no point!

This year's one is to put all my planning in a nice folder on my memory stick. All clearly labelled and organised. Then, when someone asks me in the summer holiday if they can have my planning from last year as a starting point, I can actually find it reasonably easily and not have half of it seemingly missing.

Oh and not to be a grumpy so and so...

10. To spend less time chatting in the staffroom and more time doing some work! Then I might be able to leave school before dinner time!

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This time last year I made the resolution to spend MORE time in the staffroom chatting. I'd joined the school in the January and found the first two terms really lonely and I was dreadfully unhappy. Spending MORE time chatting in the staffroom definitely made me feel more a part of the school and more confident.

We have one member of staff who never ever comes to the staffroom at lunch or the end of the day. She only comes in to use the photocopier before school and that is about it. She gets to go home about 4.30 and has all her books marked beautifully and up to date. But she isn't really a part of the school, if you know what I mean. No-one really knows her and so wouldn't naturally go and sit with her in staff meetings and things. She is probably nice enough, but just 'apart' from the rest of us.

Just saying this for those planning to spend LESS time, be careful you don't shut yourself off from everyone.

12. louiseelsiet

louiseelsiet New commenter

To spend less of my evenings and weekends working. Which basically means stop talking during break, lunch and after school and get more done during school hours! [​IMG]

13. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Put in a bit more effort into making lessons more interesting...

Marking regularly (Say that every year)
    To not teach the worst phonic / guided reading sessions ever.

14. Well, I've got my target [​IMG]

15. And me, especially as we are teaching sets so have the responsibility of another teacher's books.

16. This time last year, I decided to spend less time in the staffroom at playtime but more at lunchtime as more people go in to chat at lunchtime, and to keep my desk tidy as I was jobsharing with a very, very tidy person. I'm pleased to say it worked well!
    This year I'm planning on doing the same but I'll have my own class and am going back full-time so it will probably be more of a struggle. I'm also hoping to get the children to do a little more marking of their own work and to write more neatly when I'm marking their books. Not sure how long that will last though...

17. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I've found my resolutions from last year...
    1. Didn't happen.
    2. Happened!
    3. Err...kind of happened, but it tailed off half-way through the year.
    4. Not even close.
    So this year's resolutions are:
    1. To keep on top of marking and do it efficiently (in Year 6 this year, so it's especially important as there'll be so much of it!).
    2. To plan foundation subjects in the preceeding holiday.
    3. Not to treat my desk like a dumping ground.
    I give it until October half-term.