1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school/Stress/Help

Discussion in 'Personal' started by leannebloor17, Sep 17, 2019.

1. leannebloor17

leannebloor17 New commenter

Hi everyone,

First time poster here looking for some advice please.
    I am an FS teacher and have been for 10 years now at a school I loved. An opportunity came up at a local school for FS lead in the summer and went for it ans got the job. Initally the school were very up for change and basically wanted me to come in and change it to more child led and better continuous provision etc
    I spent most of the summer setting up my classroom and getting to know the other fs teacher all seemed well. However since the children started 3 weeks ago , it has rapidly gone down hill. They are very young, some with significant behvaiour issues, we have had 3 serious injures (1 for example a child had used a log to knock another child on the head and the child was knocked out completely) I have brought up with slt who said they have no money for extra staff that i have asked for. We have 4 adults to 60 children which i know is normal but i think given the needs of the cohort we should have more staff.
    This combined with working a lot more hours (the directed hours we are working is over what a teacher should be contracted to) plus 2 meetings and 1 briefing a week. I alsp get honework to do from middle leaders meetings. Im being given jobs to do without having any leader time and am using ppa time for such jobs which meand i am behind on other things i need to do as a normal teacher.
    It has all become a bit much in a short space of time. I know the school is not for me, i dont believe nothing will change and plan to resign october to be released for janurary. I have been having anxiety attacks and feel miserable. My dotor said she will sign me off sick but i am worried. Worried about the children at school. Worried about how it will look to my new employers (i know i plan to leave but still feel guilty). Worried about getting a reference when i get a new job in the future. My old school has offered me a job back in year 1 (so a different year group) but just unsure of what to do on all levels really.
    Has anyone been in this position and can anyone offer advice?
    Thanks for listening

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Lots of people leave, if a place is not a good fit. It's not going to get any better, by the sound of things.

Your old school, which you loved, has offered you a lifeline. Take it.
    Just be honest when you hand in your resignation. You don't think it's the place for you, very sorry, and you're going back to the other schoo!.

Yes, it might be a bit awkward, but you must do what's right for YOU. Once you've made the decision, you'll feel so much better.

It's one of those things. Don't worry about it.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If your old school wants you back. I'd feel emboldened to politely and kindly inform your present school why you're leaving. They need to know that you can't pile all this stuff on new staff. The person who gets your job could easily flounder too and it's not good for the kids.
    I know nothing about Primary staffing but 2 staff to 30 kids doesn't sound like much to me especially if a significant number have "issues" (yeh you, psycho log boy).
    ,Good luck for the future. I agree with Dunty - walk away.

PS. If that's your real name, I advise you not to use it as a username.

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Life is too short to stuff a mushroom, and to stay in a place where you are so unhappy. You have an opportunity to leave and I would take it with both hands.

Good luck. :)