1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New school start date

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by twothreesix, Jul 2, 2020.

1. twothreesix

twothreesix New commenter

Hi all.

I'm starting a new school on Aug 21st. I therefore gave 20th as my final day of work at my current school.

I've now had a brief panic about the mortgage and other bills as a week's pay is substantial - do you think I will be paid 3 weeks by my current school in August and 5 weeks in September from my new school? Or is there a possibility of 1 week's pay end of August from the new school. I presumed not due to pay roll already being done but I'm not sure.

Obviously... None of you works there so I could clearly just email them!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Emailing them would be the best idea! ;)

If 21st August is your official contractual start date then of course they should pay you from then. But I wouldn't expect you to receive it until the end of September.

strawbs likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Your final day of work should be the end of the contractual year. You are paid 1 twelfth of a year's salary per month. I think you’ve made an error with your letter of notice which will invalidate the date within in. Speak to HR I suggest.

4. twothreesix

Well I did think that but then I didn't think I could give the date 31st August to leave somewhere when I'm starting elsewhere 10 days before?

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, you were not contractually available until 31 August. That's where you have gone wrong. This often happens at Easter and what Heads do is agree to end and start contracts at the specific dates.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Unless there is something in your contract which says that you may not work elsewhere, there is no problem with accepting a job which does not conflict with your contractual working days at your current school. So it appears that you are not in conflict with your current contract (Burgundy Book conditions?). Indeed, I think you could have done the standard of giving your exit date as 31 August and clarifying that your last day at work will be xx July. I would have thought that your current school might be delighted to have the excuse not to pay you for the last 10 days in August. I hope they will do the decent thing and pay you until the end of August, but they could say that you sought a change in your contract which they agreed to.

This is not the same as what happens at Easter. Then, the new term usually starts before the standard notice date of 30 April, so if you leave with effect from that date, you can be expected to work for the first part of the term. That is why the Burgundy Book says that teachers moving to another school finish at their first school the day before the new school's term starts.

7. twothreesix

Oh well I feel like an idiot. I followed the Burgundy Book which says '
    All teachers resigning their appointments will be paid salary;
    ƒ at the end of the Summer term to August 31; or, in the case of a
    teacher resigning to take up an appointment with another employer
    to the day preceding the day on which the school under the new
    employer opens for the Autumn term if this be earlier than
    September 1'

I was trying not to take money which wasn't mine

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If the new school says you won't be paid until the end of September, and that will cause cashflow problems, it may be worth politely asking whether there is any possibility of an advance. It's not unknown.

twothreesix likes this.
  9. twothreesix

Thank you.